Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

If At First You Don't Succeed....


Punkin's birthday is coming up in a month or so. Now that I'm not working we really can't afford to buy the kind of cake I he wants, so I've become our birthday cake baker.

Last year was my first attempt at birthday cake making. I was going to do a trial run before hand, but due to my lazy assiness lack of time I failed to do so. This year I'm determined not to embarrass myself, so I'm getting started in plenty of time.

Punkin wants a Backyardigans (circus Backyardigans to be exact) party and with those vivid colors I'm going to have to do fondant. I hate the taste of icing when it has enough coloring in it to get it nice and bright.

Anyway, tonight was my first attempt. I made marshmallow fondant and I guess it turned out ok, though making it was a pain in the ass. Of course my execution leaves much to be desired. First, I didn't roll out a large enough piece and had to try to add more to it, ensuring that I had creases and lines where the pieces joined. Also my rolling pin wasn't large enough or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, so I left more lines.

Fondant is supposed to be perfectly smooth. Obviously mine isn't. But for a first try? I can live with it. Hopefully with a few more practice runs I'll be able to do Pablo and Uniqua justice.

Here it is, my contribution to tomorrow's playgroup:
Oh, and an in real life picture of my new love. He's a real hottie, isn't he???!!!!


16 comments:

K-Mom said...

Lookin' good...especially for a first attempt. I think something like this takes talent because I GUARANTEE that MY first attempt would be in the garbage! (That is, after I ate what could be salvaged, of course.)

the planet of janet said...

verrrrrrrry impressive. looks good enough to eat!

CPA Mom said...

OOOH, you are my hero! I have Stacey's recipe for fondant but not enough courage to try it yet. That looks very cool!

Bren said...

Oooh, nice! I need you here in Sept to make Lil's cake. Pretty please?

PS3 this weekend?

Confessions of A Mississippi Mom said...

Look great nice!!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I would never have guessed that was your first attempt. I think it looks amazing! Rock on chickie!!

Jennie said...

Beautiful!!!! Wow! I can't believe that was your first attempt! I bet it's totally delicious too. I really want to hear your account of making marshmallow fondant and the recipe please- I've never tried it but it sounds like it could be exciting!

anglophilefootballfanatic.com said...

How is a red one a male? And, are you alive??

Natalie said...

It looks great!

I have decided that I am anti-fondant. I cannot stand the taste and it's so difficult to work with! Everything will be buttercream from now on (okay, so it's been EIGHT MONTHS since I've made a cake at all).

Also, that KitchenAid? I have the exact same one (red, too) and I named her "Gloria" because she is GLORIOUS.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

You never cease to amaze me with your talents....

Kaytabug said...

Wow. That cake looks awesome!
He is hot! Sisss! Red hot!

buddha_girl said...

What the fuck? I am so impressed!

You're amazing, sister.

And I want to have an affair with that red-headed hunk sitting on your counter. Just thought I should tell you.

Molly said...

The cake looks fun and delicious. I sure that yours will be a hit.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Yep, he's a hottie alright!

I love how the cake turned out; I think it's perfect!

justmylife said...

Love the cake, looks delish!!! Oh, and that is one hottie you have there. Used him much?

elena jane said...

love your new hottie...and the cake too :)
i make cakes, i make the frosting and i use fun stuff to make them colourful.....but that's a post for my blog not your comments :)
have fun with the cake :)