Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Did You See That Flying Pig?


Punkin is three years old. Actually three and a half. It has only been in the last few months that we can take him to get his hair cut without both he and the hairdresser having an emotional breakdown.

So you can only imagine my dread anguish oh holy hell how will we ever do this!?!?!?! worry about taking him to the dentist for the first time. I've put it off and put it off. I mean, come on. I'm grown, some would even say overgrown, and I hate going to the dentist. HATE. I'd rather go to the gyno weekly than to the dentist twice a year.

But being the procrastinating slacker sorry excuse for devoted mother that I am, I bit the bullet and made the appointment. I actually got a recommendation for the dentist from Random Mommy. Now RM seems very particular about where she takes Buddha, so I figured if she was ok with this place, I would be, too.

Finally the day arrives. Of course we get behind every fucking, slow assed old lady maw maw on the road, get stopped in a license check point, have to stop for a train, etc. So the thirty minutes I had allowed for the trip evaporated rather quickly. Then, add in that I didn't actually know where I was going, but was counting on my sense of direction to get me there, and of course we ended up being late. Only a few minutes, but late.

On the way there we talked about teeth. We talked about cavities and how gross they are. How if he doesn't take care of his teeth they will get all green and black and nasty. Oh, and how they will hurt. My Punkin is like me. We do not like pain.

Anyway, by the time we get there Punkin is trying to go directly back to the work areas, saying he wants to floss his teeth! Guess the pep talk worked! Wouldn't you guess it thought, I go to give them my insurance card and I don't have it. Still have no clue where it is. Hubby was to fax it to them, but never could get the fax to go through. Luckily they were able to look up the number. I. Be. So. Smart.

But my Punkin? He is a damn trooper! When they called us back, he went flying. Watched the tooth super hero video and asked questions. Appropriate questions. Then they dismissed me (of course I didn't leave, but followed them back to the cleaning area, snapping pictures) and he told me bye.

Just bye.

No crying. No begging me to stay. No Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!

I must admit I was proud. And a bit disappointed. I know, I'm a bitch. Sorry.

So Punkin did great. Wowed all the hygienists, just really worked the room. Doc said he had a perfect mouth! And yes, I am bragging. She said only about 10% of the kids she saw had that so we count ourselves very lucky. His dad and I? Mouths FULL of fillings. She said his teeth were nice and clean, all in the right places, and that the interior of his mouth looked great.Again, I was so proud of him. He was such a little man and was so well behaved. I'm sure I never acted that well at the dentist. Huh, I still don't. Then today at school? They said they didn't have to get on to him one time. NOT ONCE. Now of late? That just hasn't been happening. He even took a nap without having to be coerced or pressured into it. And yesterday? Played for about an hour and a half with the neighbor girl without a single incident.

So after these past few days? I am totally sure that pigs are flying, hell has froze over, the moon is blue and a cow is jumping over it. All of that shit. I know I'm probably jinxing myself, but could the terrible twos/atrocious threes be starting to wind down? God, I hope so.

And just in time for summer? With only a week left for MDO? Oh, please. Let those pigs keep flying!!!

20 comments:

nikki said...

I am so impressed. No whining or clinging? Can Punkin hang out with my kid and teach him a few things?

Catwoman said...

I think he's absolutely fantastic and rocks. But then again, I've always loved that Punkin'!

Hurray on the perfect check up!

the planet of janet said...

that's awesome.

and not to burst your bubble, but ... um... you KNOW what they call the 4's, don't you?

yes, that's right. the f'ing 4's. and with good reason.

you're welcome.

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

Well, thanks Janet. I had not heard that yet. Great. Just great.

Congrats to Mr. P and his pearly whites.

SwampAngel65 said...

You are SO lucky! My hub took Aidan to the dentist a couple months ago and he said it was a nightmare...screaming and fighting. He and another assistant had to physically hold him still so they could clean his teeth. OMG...I felt so bad. His teeth were fine (Thank God) but a horrible day. The hub said the next appointment is all mine to deal with.

Like I said, you are so lucky! You've got a great kiddo!

imadramamama said...

That's awesome. Go Punkin!

Mommapeas said...

Yay! Give him my congrats on his good -lookin mouth!

Marmarbug said...

Go Punkin. And thank you Janet for that little tidbit. I think I may commit myself now.

McMama said...

I need to get Q to the dentist.

You know what it is? It's not the pigs or the apocalypse, contrary to popular belief. It's the transition from 3 to 3-and-a-half. Seriously. All the cool kids are doing it.

Law Student Hot Mama said...

I'm so jealous. I LOATHE going to the dentist and would also gladly go to the gyno twice a week than go twice a year to the dentist. I think my teeth are just genetically bad . . it's not like I'm filthy or anything, and yet somehow still all I get are fillings and more fillings. Fun times.

Good for him for getting a clean check!

My2Suns said...

He is such a big boy!

I am gong to have to get that name and take the boys there especially since our dental changed.

justmylife said...

Congrats onthe great dental news and MDO great day. Little Miss hated her first dentist, she screamed and they had to hold her down. We got a new dentist and she LOVES him! She actually asked to go and get her teeth cleaned.

CPA Mom said...

Yeah!! Send him over to my house to teach Eeyore how to behave at the dentist - you know how that went this past Monday!

MDO?

Rachel said...

Punkin rocks!!!

I will just nod and smile about that whole terrible two's/atrocious three's winding down comment.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Glad to hear it went swimmingly. I need to schedule LittleBird, and I just cant bring myself to do it. Note to self--DO it!

Burgh Baby's Mom said...

You are a brave soul. I fear that our trip to the dentist will not go that well. I may pass out from the dread, though, so maybe we just won't end up going.

Bren said...

Hooray for Punkin! Maybe he's saving it all up for your trip to Texas.

Got a wild hair and rearranged my gameroom today. Guess what I found? Yep, the missing disk. Now all I need is you!

Kila said...

Way to go, Punkin!! That is great news!

Alison said...

Yea for Punkin!!! He is getting so big, and so handsome!!

elena jane said...

hurray mama, hurray punkin!
oh and i loath the dentist...so you get props for even taking him. my hubby does all that...i do all the rest! ;)