Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Over The River And Through The Woods


Yes, to grandmother's - well, Nanny's and Granny's - house we go. Seems Granny is having some problems again. She has never quite recovered completely from the ankle break and I just don't know how much longer she is going to be able to live on her own. She is adamant that she isn't leaving her apartment, but I just don't know.

Yesterday as my mother was coming in her door, Granny was moving in her power wheelchair and went to sleep or passed out briefly, running into her table and knocking stuff all over the place. She still kept her hand on the power so she just kept hitting it. She bruised up her arm and her wrist. I'm thinking today, which of course is Saturday, we may need to take her to an Urgent Care and get it x-rayed.

I'm gonna go by and see her for a few and hopefully get her to eat something. She hasn't been wanting to eat anything much anyone brings her and really can't get up and cook much right now. Mother has bought her microwaveable things, but of course she doesn't like ANY of it. She's drinking Ensure, but needs to eat more real food.

I guess 91 is just a tough age. I understand the need/desire to stay independent, but if she is hurting herself I think we are going to have to consider other options. When she does cook, she fries EVERYTHING. What happens when she has something on frying and goes to sleep? She'll burn the place down - along with herself.

I just don't know what we are going to do. My mother is pretty frazzled. She is an only child and lives just a few minutes away so pretty much all of Granny's care/business falls to her to handle. I hope things get better. I really do. Yall be sending good vibes her way, ok?

So I guess I better get up and get moving. I just put in my treadmill time for today and my legs are rubbery, but I think I can probably drag myself out to the car. Some good news for today? Down another .5 pounds! So much for weighing myself every three months!

Oh, yeah. My scale is going a bit bonkers. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I want another good one which will match up with the doctor's scale. Any suggestions? For under a million dollars, too, please?

Yall all have a great Saturday! Come join me at the gym tomorrow for yoga as I'll be on my own. We could even do body pump before yoga if you'd like. Damn, I hope I'm able to keep this up long term......

26 comments:

Serina Hope said...

I hope that Granny is okay. I know that this is extremely hard for you guys. You will do what is best for her. You love her too much to do anything else.

Penelope Anne said...

That has to be so difficult, 91 can be a stubborn age though, it is hard to let go of your independence. Good luck, and know even the hard decisions are made with love and care.

If you have time, my poetry contest entry is ready for votes:
http://wannabeawritersomeday.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-am-entering-poetry-contest-yikes-and.html

If you like what you read, I would love your vote, and you can share the link too, if you like what you read.

Kimberly said...

Oh my, that's a lot on your plate, hun. Oww.

Congrats on the weight loss. I don't know what brand mine is, but I have one of those digital body fat measuring ones and picked it up for about $50. Love it!

Yankee Belle said...

Big hugs for granny.

Bed Bath & Beyond with the 20% coupon. DId that for XMas. Kudos on keeping it up!!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

I'm sorry about Granny. I hope it all goes well. Keep me posted 4 sure. I kept checking to see if you were around, but I guess this is why?

Also can I be any prouder of you? You are becoming not BM the poop mom but BM for Buff Mom. Rock it chica.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Definitely sending good vibes for your Granny your way. I feel so bad for her; it's got to be as tough on her as it is on you all. But her safety comes first!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Good for you for working out :) I'm joining you!

We're thinking of Granny!

My daughter likes your black cat ;)

Bren said...

Sorry to hear about Granny! She'll be part of the monkey's bedtime prayers tonight. :)

buddha_girl said...

I need you to email me Granny's address again. I suck at staying organized these days.

As for your scale obsession - you are hereby ordered to package your scale in a box and ship it to me. I will promptly destroy it. I loathe scales. I used to be addicted. No more, sister!

Alison said...

I hope Granny is OK..I know what you are going through, we had the same scenario with my husband's aunt a couple of years ago. She was the same age too!!
Way to go on the gym love!! You rock!!

Jennifer said...

I swear, as the rest of the world gets skinnier, I'm going to get fatter and then one day I will SQUASH YOU ALL!!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

random_mommy said...

Sending good vibes to Granny...

Sandy said...

Your granny is in my prayers but, swear to all that's holy, your description of her running into the table made me laugh out loud! I just kept envisioning my grandson's RC jeep hitting the same thing over and over and over. I know it's wrong of me and please forgive me, but thanks for the laugh!

PS: My mom is 91 and most of her care falls to my sister because of distance. Y'all really are in my heart.

Momo Fali said...

Definitely sending good thoughts. I feel for your Mom. Sounds tough.

Kaytabug said...

Sending good thought for your Mom and Granny and you too. The reality of what my future holds has been hitting me hard lately, as an only I can kinda relate.
Keep up the workouts!!

Poodlehead said...

Hey girl! So sorry about Granny. But I suppose that is what we all have to deal with as we age (sh!).

I am glad to be your gym inspiration. You certainly inspired my lazy ass to do pump on Friday. I am proud of you and your motivation. If you don't overwhelm yourself with too many changes too quickly then it should not be any problem to keep it going. I certainly enjoy having a girlfriend to hang out with. I've been solo for too long.

Kila said...

It is hard to see them like that. For her sake, I would urge a move to an assisted-living place. Such a hard thing to do, but I fear for her safety otherwise. BTDT with my grandparents. Once she sees the nice meals and social functions, maybe she would change her mind. (((HUGS)))

janet said...

sending hugs and good wishes for you and your granny.

and yahoo for keeping up the good work at the gym! i actually swam 5 morning this week. woot!

Laura McIntyre said...

Poor granny, must be such a difficult age for you all

justmylife said...

Hope Granny gets to feeling better. And Take care of your momma, remind her if she goes down, who will take care of Granny. My mom is the same way with my granddaddy, she has a brother and sister, but they are no help. And she won't let anyone help her. Congrats on the continued weight loss.

Kellie said...

Poor Granny!! I have an 88 year old Grandmother with Alzheimer's and when it was time for her to go to an assisted living facility, it was tough for all of us. My other Gram is 75 and comes off like she's 40.

I'm sure it's tough on your Mom and the rest of it you. But, I know you'll make the best decision.

I worked out this weekend. I feel like I got my ass handed to me.

Wait. Does playing Wii count as exercise? No? Well, it does to me :)

nikki said...

My 96 year old grandma is having issues with eating too. Thank goodness for chocolate. I think that's what she survives on and weighing only 90 pounds, she needs all the fatty foods she can get!

Lil Mouse said...

my grandma used to have meals on wheels delivered to her. it was enough for 2 meals for her, so she always had something to eat if she was hungry and she got like a quart of milk a day as well and it was very inexpensive.

they had to put her in a nursing home, she couldnt see and made bad decisions like trying to drive. she also couldnt remember what day it was... couldnt keep up with her meds, etc. i really hope your grandma is better than that..

if she can't drive often there are free services offered by the state she lives in that could get her help with laundry, cleaning and such. my grandma was always paranoid they would steal from her so she kept getting her license..

Catwoman said...

That's so stressful... We're going through the same thing with my grandmother, although she's "only" 81, but she can't walk anywhere, has no balance and she? Refuses to have an electric chair, because they're for "old people."

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I will DEF be sending good vibes to you and your Granny. I just can't imagine how hard it is for you to think you are competent to handle things when to everyone else you are not. What a terrible blow to one's ego. I know I will probably be EXACTLY that kind of 91 year old. I hope you guys find a good solution.

And I am SO GLAD to see you back online! WooHoo!!

Rachel said...

I am sending some super good vibes to Granny. I am so sorry to hear. I hope that she changes her mind and accepts the fact that she may not be able to continue living by herself.