Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Lab Rats R Us


Today Poodlehead and I went to UAB to participate in a clinical study. Of course we did it because we are poor stay at home Moms are only interested in furthering scientific knowledge. We are like that - only thinking of others.

So the study was determining pain thresholds under a few different conditions. We had heat applied in varying degrees and had to indicate when it felt painful and when we had reached our limit. We had heat applied while holding our hand in a cooler of ice water. But the absolute worst? We had a blood pressure cuff applied extremely tightly and had to indicate our pain level. All of this pain was rated on a scale of 1 to 100.

I went first, then Poodlehead. The heat wasn't too bad, though when they did a couple of short bursts of extreme heat? I must admit I kind of shit my pants jumped and groaned a bit. The cold water bit was a breeze. I held my hand in until the time expired. The first person ever. Am I a dumb bad ass or what? I think it was for 13 minutes. Anyway, I pretty much still can't feel my hand.

But that blood pressure cuff? Holy shit, that was tough. I made it about 13 1/2 minutes (cut off time was 15 minutes), but I was in some real discomfort by the time I called it quits. My arm was pretty much completely drained of blood and the discoloring was very obvious. When the cuff was released my arm lit up like one of those cheap electric fireplace logs from the 70's. Then it tingled for another hour.

I think the highest pain rating I gave was a 93 and that was my last rating before calling it quits on the blood pressure cuff. Poodlehead? 100, 100, 100!!!! I think we were both trying to hold out longer than the other, but it was really hard to determine what to do. Across the board I felt pain sooner than her, but had more tolerance for it. I always thought I had a high pain tolerance level and this just proves it.

So basically we let some guy torture us for a couple of hours for $50 gift cards. Do you think that makes us cheap or just easy? Hmmmmm...... If we hadn't been being tortured for money (Poodlehead told the guy that he was charring her!) we would have been at the gym paying for the priviledge of torturing ourselves.

Cheap, easy, and dumb? Maybe. But now I've got $50 just burning a hole in my pocket and no visible scars to show for it. Pretty desperate smart is what I'm thinking.

25 comments:

Kimberly said...

I could so handle the heat...the cold though? I'd wimp out after two minutes. Seriously. As for the blood pressure cuff, I can't imagine it'd be any worse than the one I had on during labour with Emma. I screamed every time it inflated but they wouldn't loosen it. Oi. And? I couldn't lift my left arm fully for -three- days afterwards.

I would so totally be tortued for $50. You rock.

Beckie said...

That is just hilarious and I'm not sure why. I read over at Poodlehead's that you two were doing this today and I was wondering if you were going to mention it.

I think the blood pressure cuff would be the worst.

Bren said...

You're hilarious! Too bad they didn't let y'all film that!

Junebug said...

Wouldn't it have been awful if you had cold or heat applied to your teeth? The tolerance level might have dipped faster.

Serina Hope said...

That is pretty freakin funny. You are a hoot. I too wish that this had been filmed. Come by some times. I am trying to ppost more regularly for you guys. I thought I had lost it for about a month there.
WAY TO GO SUPERWOMAN ON THE WEIGHT LOSS!!!!!

Sara said...

I could not handle the blood pressure cuff. I have to check my own blood pressure at home because my sister has some health issues that I want to avoid, and I hate doing it even at home. I can't stand it. Kudos to you for dealing with it for so long.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

I don't think it makes you look cheap OR easy....where can I be tortured for a $50 gift card?

natalie said...

The heat I could do, the cold, not so much.

Oh yeah, I'd totally do it for $50 too!

lisa's chaos said...

Cheap or easy, I can't decide, but you cracked me up. :)

nikki said...

Where do I sign up?

buddha_girl said...

Shit. I wish I could have done this with you two. Damn, damn, damn!

Now dig the dirt and give it to me - $50 gifts cards to WHERE????

That Chick Over There said...

I would have done it too!

Kellie said...

I'd have been desperate...uh, I mean smart....right along with you :)

Jennifer said...

Wait...I saw that movie!! You got out just in time because they were about to rip your teeth out with a rusty fishhook!

Queen of Shake-Shake said...

Haha! I dunno if I'd do that $50, but then again, why not? You're right, money and no scars!

anglophilefootballfanatic said...

I'm a freaking mo-ron. You mentioned the $50 burning a hole & I was clueless. I didn't realize you'd posted later. Duh!

Where are you. It's Sat night? Aren't you home?

Joy T. said...

That's hilarious! All that for $50 LOL They would have thrown me and my friend out of the lab because I would be too busy laughing my ass off at her discomfort. Ya. I'm a good friend that way :o)

HRH said...

OMG that is funny. Now just watch for the study to see if they were REALLY studying pain tolerance or if they were doing a psychological study on how much a SAHM would tolerate for a $50 gift card. Whatever the results, it was worth it for the blog.

Poodlehead said...

Hey this makes me sound like a big wuss. I wasn't really in that much pain, I just wanted the study to end quicker. But SUPERWOMAN here had to hold out for some of the LONGEST times the guy had recorded yet! That's why we were in there about double the freaking time. Geez!

Actually it did feel like it was charring my skin and the hand in the ice water was a painful experience that I did not think was worth fake bravado.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

You guys are too much!! I think that is hilarious! I hope you enjoy that gift card because you DEF earned it!

justmylife said...

I wish you would have filmed it. I do believe it would be worth a watch. And hey, $50. is $50. And no scars? Well worth it I am sure.

Catwoman said...

I would have signed up in a heartbeat. I have a high pain threshold too, which is why I just moaned at home for five days, not realizing that the pain I was having, was my liver shutting down.

No one at the hospital could understand how it wouldn't have hurt so bad that I didn't rush to the hospital within 10 minutes.

I too? Am a moron.

But I didn't even get $50 for my pain, so you're the smart one!

Daphne said...

I tagged you on my blog =)

Steph said...

NOT something I'd have signed up for, but Im glad you have $50!

Left you some love on my blog!

elena jane said...

lol, $50 GC for somewhere good i hope!! :)