Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


Lisa is hosting Fun Monday this week. And get this - she wants to hear about our pets. Geeze, I'd never brag on my pets, even if they are the smartest, sweetest, cutest, cuddliest, most well behaved cats on earth. I'd never brag, even if they don't shed, their litter box doesn't stink, they don't track litter all over my house and they make dinner for me on Wednesday nights.

But to be nice and to not hurt Lisa's feelings, I'll play along. Just this once though. I'll return to my modest and self deprecating self tomorrow.

So I have cats. Did I mention that? Currently I have only three. Sometimes the house feels empty with only three. Did you know that four cats is the perfect number? With four cats one is always in sight. With three sometimes they are all off minding their own business, but with four one is always available.

As a child I didn't like cats. I don't know why, I just didn't. I was a dog person. Then my third year in college I got an apartment and wanted a dog. A daschund. At the time the going rate for one was about $200. I made $3.45 per hour. The dog just wasn't going to happen. So I went to the animal shelter and got a cat.

And that folks, was all she wrote. I became the crazy cat lady. Since that time I have had some wonderful cats. Sadly, we have been afflicted off and on with feline leukemia. Never, however cute they may be, take a stray cat into your home without having it tested first.

Anyway, first there was Sugar, the cat from the shelter.Then there was Patches, aka Poo Poo. I had him until he was 19 years old. He was such a member of the family.Then we were adopted by a wonderful litter of kittens - Jack, Tiger, Blondie and Pretty Girl. That Tiger and Blondie? Best bedtime snugglers EVAH!

While in Massachusetts we adopted Butterbean, Tabby, and TheoDid I mention Theo is a climber?Currently, we still have Pretty Girl (from the Alabama litter) and Tabby and Theo from MA. As I type this post Tabby is sitting half on the back of the love seat, half on my shoulder. She's a sweetie, though she worships hubby and not me. Which is funny because she was supposed to be mine and Theo was supposed to be hubby's. So goes it.

I can't imagine the house without a cat in it. I would imagine the next addition will be a dog, though hubby tells me no. Yet he doesn't seem to be able to tell Punkin no so when he really starts begging I expect him to cave pretty quickly.

Ok, that's it for me. Go over to Lisa's place and check out the other Fun Monday posts. I know they won't be able to compare to my wonderful kitties, but stop by so they won't feel neglected.

Go now. Bye.

Meow.

37 comments:

ChrisB said...

see you later then!!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Two days in a row. My my! You are impressive.

Bren said...

Love Tabby with the tongue sticking out! Cute!

Kaycie said...

What beautiful cats you have!

Junebug said...

Hilarious! If I showed pictures of all the cats I owned I would never get them all loaded onto blogger. We have went through a lot of cats at our house, all loved dearly.

kitten said...

OMGees! What beautiful cats!

Joy T. said...

LOVE the name Butterbean LOL That is a pile of cats but it's nice to hear how much joy they bring/brought you.

Heather, Queen of Shake-Shake said...

I love kitties, though I draw the line at three.

Jen M. said...

Love Tabby's picture!!

Kimberly said...

Gorgeous animals!

Kaytabug said...

Pretty Kitties! I just love the big fluffy tails!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

She's back. I think you need to get Grand Master P a dog. I would love to see what the felines do with a dog!

mjd said...

I did not like cats as a child either. In my adult life, we have had three of them and cried profusely when each of them died.

You have very pretty cats, and each of them look well loved.

Alison said...

Love your cats, they are adorable!! Your Pretty Girl looks just like my Rooney!!

Robinella said...

Pretty cats. Is that last one lying on money. It's looks like a $20 bill under the front paw and I'm missing one. hmmm.

Oh and you look VERY familiar. Didn't grow up in Virginia, did you? More specifically, Fred'bg or Spotsy? How about Chesapeake? Oh well, we all look like somebody, don't we.

lisa's chaos said...

I am seeing the kitties have personalities too. I didn't know they played with toys and such until this week. I'm afraid cats were ruined for me when I was a child. Our immediate neighbor had at least 30 cats at all times living in their house for the 20 years we lived by them. They smelled horrible and were a nasty bunch. Every kitten born there stayed there, just ruined kitties for me. :(

Alison said...

hmmm...I have another bag of flops...what could you do the "win" them???

Retrohipster said...

Great kitty's! 19yo that is amazing!!!

random_mommy said...

You look so cute!!! Ms. Farrah wants her hair back.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Oooooo! Theo looks just like the cat I adopted in college. I love him!!! Great post!

Pamela said...

and in the newspaper too!!!
you are indeed the cat lady.

I'd love to come over with some catnip and have some fun!

Little Red's Momma said...

Got to gym today too. Let's see if I can walk tomorrow to make it back !!

Kila said...

Wow, I think you have the most beautiful collection of pets!

janet said...

oh my word. you ARE a crazy cat lady!

that's a lovely kitty kollection, really.

Yankee Belle said...

Good God! I lost count. =)

Catwoman said...

I'll admit it, I was laughing my ass of at your roots and the height of your hair. And then I read your caption and I laughed even harder.

I'll send you some horrible pictures of myself as a kid to make you feel better, because if roots had been my only problem back then, well, I would have been really, really lucky! :)

Peter said...

Yay for Pumkin and that Dog, cats are OK but I don't think I could eat a whole one.... Put down that axe, I'm joking.... really.

Serina Hope said...

You have the purdiest cats :)

sirdar said...

Why do I get this feeling that we will be reading about this crazy cat lady in Alabama that has 117 cats in her house in about...oh...say 30 years :-)

You sure have/had a lot of cats. I know someone like you who just loves cats. We got Eloise from her as she was a street kitten and she just couldn't leave it out there.....and offered her to us.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Wow, they're all such gorgeous cats.
Lucky you Miss Blue. We are waiting on another dog, (till Miss M is a little older), but we can't have another cat as our old puss Myron really affected my girls eczema. Bugger.

justmylife said...

At one time we had 23 cats living with us.Most outdoors of course. I had an indoor/outdoor cat and she seemed to have a litter every other day. We currently share our lives with 4 of these wonderful creatures. Along with 6 dogs, 2 horses and 2 goldfish. Can you say animal lover? Beautiful cats by the way, I know you enjoy them as much as I enjoy my group.

-Ann said...

I had no idea 4 was the perfect number. We had 3 for awhile, which worked pretty well because 2 got along and 1 didn't.

The new Fun Monday topic is now available. :)

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

Beautiful gorgeous cats. And their mama.

Huckdoll said...

I was attacked (ok, scratched) by a cat once when I was a kid and I'm scarred for life (mentally).

I still think cats are cute, just not within 100 feet of me.

PeaceOut.

Huckdoll

Tiggerlane said...

I like orange cats - we used to have two of them, Lamont and Oscar...I think they may be called "ginger" cats?

At any rate, yours are really pretty - and I'm interested to hear what happens if you add a dog to the mix. You may see NO cats for a while!

Sandy said...

I love the picture of Tabby! and Theo? My gosh, Theo is very sure of who he is, isn't he?

Great post. Sorry it took so long to get here.

dawn224 said...

yay! I so want more cats!