Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


Robinella is our host for this week's Fun Monday. She wants us to look back at our post this year and share our favorite.

I haven't been blogging for a year yet so I don't have a years worth of posts to pick from. But this was one of my favorites. Enjoy. Or tolerate. Either way have a fun Monday!

Those Moments (from July 07)

I had a comment, from the always entertaining DX, which questioned why Moms rave about being Moms and Dads don't rave about being Dads. It is way too early in the morning - Punkin' hasn't even finished his milk yet- but it got me thinking.
Why don't Dads rave about being Dads?

My answer is: they do. Well, some of them do. Some do it, they just don't do it as loudly. Or as frequently. Or in quite the same manner. And who listens to them anyway? Alright, that wasn't very nice was it? But it is kind of true sometimes, isn't it?

I think the Dads do love being Dads, it just isn't necessarily considered the "manly" thing to go singing about it in public or even to admit it in private.

It should be, though.

I also don't think a lot of Dads get to spend the amount of time with their children which Moms do. If you are lucky enough to be able to stay at home with your kids, then you are there to wipe the noses, to kiss the boo boos, to read the books and get out the crayons, to cook the Scooby-Doo mac & cheese. Even if you do work, you are probably still the one who does the above.

This allows us Moms so many opportunities to have one of those moments in a day. Dad, who is off earning a living all day doesn't have as many and that's a shame. Dad is tired/grouchy/distracted/
cutting the grass when he gets home from work and doesn't necessarily have the patience that it sometimes takes to deal with kids, so he may miss his small window of a chance for one of those moments.

Of course, when you both get home from work, you may be cooking dinner while he watches Sports Center with his hand stuck in the front of his pants. We will save that discussion for another time.

I know I don't always appreciate Hubby because he is usually on my last nerve, but if not for him I wouldn't have had the choice of staying at home and getting those moments on a regular basis or with such frequency. I wouldn't be able to annoy all of you guys with anecdotes about my precious Punkin' and all of the sweet things he does. If not for Hubby, my window for experiencing one of those moments would also be greatly diminished.

We, as wives, and we, as a society, should encourage the Dads to be as involved as possible in out kids lives. We should make it ok for men to rave about being Dads and to still be considered manly. We should move over and let Dad have more of an opportunity for a moment, even if we could do the task at hand better/quicker/easier/correctly.

Those moments are what cause us Moms to rave.

Because those moments are what it's all about.

39 comments:

janet said...

nicely put.

Serina Hope said...

Awesome post

Swampwitch said...

So many thoughts here I can relate to. Lots of time spent on it. Thanks.

Junebug said...

You know though it makes me think of the part where I have the kids all the time and I wouldn't call it baby-sitting but if my husband had them it would be called baby-sitting. But I was the one who got to stay at home with my kids and it was definitely thanks to my husband for that. I got to quit work (my outside job) when I got pregnant with our first child and went to work for his parents' business, which was practically at home job anyway. I was blessed. Oh and by the way I don't know what happened to MyBlogLog community and me. I am appearing two times on people's blogs and I can't get into my account anymore.

Gattina said...

There are Dads and Fathers. I had a father, my son had a dad !

Joy T. said...

Great post. I'm always so grateful I've had the opportunity to stay at home with my kids. And I can relate to the "I don't always appreciate Hubby because he is usually on my last nerve". Oh how I can relate!

buddha_girl said...

Amen, sister!

Once Buddha got out of the larvae stage, HG was MUCH more involved with him. Now that he's big enough to utter the words, "TRAINS, TRUCKS, TOOLS!" they're inseparable.

Gotta give props to the dads who take the time to be with their kids.

ChrisB said...

I was brought up in the era when roles were very defined and I think that it is wonderful that many of todays dads are more involved with their children even if it is still the stay at home mothers who get the most moments. I was only able to stay at home with my children for a few years so I always envied those who got the opportunity to remain at home for a long time. I'm pleased to say my daughter has been lucky and my grandchildren have always had their mum at home but their dad has also been very involved when he is home, giving my daughter some 'time' so I recon they get the best of both parents.

thefoodsnob said...

Very nice sentiment, and very succinct!

Lisa

thefoodsnob said...

Very nice sentiment, and very succinct!

Lisa

Bren said...

Great post! And I would have probably missed it if not for Fun Monday.

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

that's awesome. i agree that dad's are so "yeah" they're more like.. umm yup i guess i gotta babysit "the kids" tonight.. instead of.. mind if i bring the kids along? they'd love to see your motorcycle/beer belly/ latest tattoo... sigh. come on dads, get with it!

Robinella said...

Very good point for discussion. I loved what Gattina wrote. My kids definitely have a Daddy.

Kaycie said...

Very nice post. I grew up with a Daddy, but then, I am in the South. And my husband is definitely Daddy, even to the teenagers.

Mama Drama Jenny said...

Amen, amen.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Let's here it for the boys! I totally agree with Gattina. My Dad was very much a Daddy. Pup's dad was a dictator. It's taken him a while to learn the difference, and he's such a better Daddy for it.

lisa's chaos said...

You're right men should be able to "brag" too.

Debs said...

What a great post. I am lucky to stay home still and raise my kids and have moments. Kids are so cool. :)

Kaytabug said...

Great post! I'm glad my boys have a DAD!

Sandy said...

Very beautifully done! Thanks.

A Slice of Life said...

Poor dads, they miss out on all the fun.

Susan at A Slice of Life

nikki said...

My kids definitely have a daddy who raves about them to everyone. We are very lucky indeed.

http://anticsofacrazymom.typepad.com

Beckie said...

Great post!

Karmyn R said...

Nice thoughts -

But of course, even those dad who get those moments don't "rave" about their kids - I think it is something in the man's genome to not talk or get excited about anything except the sports channel.

Dreaming What Ifs...

karisma said...

Well, I happen to know a few daddies who rave about their kids. I think it just depends on who they are and where they are at. Good points and keep raving. If anything, its good for the kiddies to know that they are loved and worth raving about!

Sauntering Soul said...

Awesome post! My dad has never been close to my brothers or I. Therefore, I love how much my boyfriend talks about his kids and how much he loves them. He is one dad who raves about his kids and I think it's just wonderful.

elena jane said...

my kids have a daddy too (as did hubby and i)....
and all the rest, yeppers...

mjd said...

My sons seem to be proud to be dads. However, they both started in the dad business later than some guys. My oldest son was almsot 34 when he became a dad. My youngest son also close to 34 is about to be a dad any day now. Really, any day...the baby is due December 10.

Karina said...

Great post. It's posts like this that almost make me want to be a mommy...almost. Not quite there yet, but...almost. ;-)

By the way, check out my blog tomorrow, I have tagged you.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Cool post. Check out the blogfathers.com Pretty interesting stuff over there. :)

Dawn said...

A wonderful post and a good reminder to involve dad more, and be thankful for the lifestyle he has allowed for us. They do rave about the kids, but they tend to be in whatever moment they are in, while women's brains move from place to place no matter what they are doing. Good post.

Kerith Collins said...

aaaaahhhhhh...that is nice...if I could get my hubby to look at blogs, he would love it too...but as it is, i can't even get him to look at mine!

Kerith Collins said...

aaaaahhhhhh...that is nice...if I could get my hubby to look at blogs, he would love it too...but as it is, i can't even get him to look at mine!

kitten said...

Love it!

justmylife said...

My kids have a Dad, well most of the time. He gets down in the floor and plays trucks with them. Well the boys when they were little and now with Little Miss. He also plays a mean game of Mario! He saves the Princess most everytime! Or atleast thats what I hear from the kids.

"MommaDrool" said...

well said bluemomma! can't wait to hang with you Thursday night...and jello shots? have i told you how much i love you?!

Jo Beaufoix said...

Fab post sweetie. And sooo true.
I'm loving Fun Monday. :D

That Chick Over There said...

Aww! This was a great post! :)

Tiggerlane said...

GREAT post! I tell ya - if I had a dollar for every time my kid yelled, 'MOM!!!' and I wondered - why doesn't she call for her dad?? Sheesh - I'd be rich!