Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Not That Kind of Poo Poo


I got Patches from my vet. I was looking for a kitten, not a five year old cat. I wanted a calico kitten, not a snow white cat. But then I saw him and it was love at first sight.

We lived at college together, then we moved back to my parents for a while. When I was 25 we moved back out for good and I rented a little old house while attending my first (and only) year of grad school.Patches was my baby, my confidant, my friend. He met me at the door when I came home in the evening, he snuggled up with me on the couch. He shared my dinner (no it isn't gross and we didn't eat on the same plate! Not often anyway) and he slept with me at night.

Then one afternoon he went missing. I checked all of my rooms. I checked in the yard. I called his name. I screamed his name. I meowed for him. Yes, I said meow. There's something about the tone of my voice, because if I go out in my yard and meow? Cats will come. Kind of like field of dreams. If you meow, they will come.

Still no Patches. I went back inside. I checked inside all of my cabinets and under the furniture. I check the crawl space under the house. No Patches. I was a wreck. I cried, I called him some more, but still no Patches.

Finally I collapse on the couch to cry over my poor missing cat. Then I hear something and it wasn't something good. A rustling sound was coming from my fireplace. IN my fireplace. The chimney, to be more exact.

Yes, you guessed it. Or if you were one of my commenters the other day I've probably already told you.

It was Patches! My formerly snow white kitty. I didn't know whether to hug him or kill him!! What I did was wash him. Over and over and over. He wasn't happy, but then again, neither was I. I got most of the soot out and the rest wore off over time.

Once I met my hubby he became as attached to Patches as I was. Somehow he ended up calling him Poo Poo. I pointed out to him that he was calling our cat poop, but the name still stuck. I had Patches until he was 19 years old and I finally had to have him put to sleep. I must say he was the best companion ever. Sorry Hubby, but I never had to pick his dirty socks up out of the floor. And yes, he did shed, but so do you!!!

23 comments:

Krista said...

Seriously, I didn't look closely enough at those pictures the other day! (or the title obviously) because I thought they were two different cats! Wow...
Did he look like a sad pathetic cat when getting washed? :) We had a white long hair cat that looked like a skinny drowned rat (and sounded like one, too!) when he was getting a bath!

Emma in Canada said...

That was such a funny story. Well except for thinking you had lost your cat. But other than that...funny.

Obviously I didn't think about it either. And i don't think I commented because all Iwas thinking was 'huh?'

mjd said...

Covered in ashes, Poo Poo almost looks like a different cat. Years ago, we were working on the furnace and left an opening in the one of the heating ducts. For a few hours, our black and white kitty was missing. Until she was found sleeping in the basement rafters, we thought that our kitty somehow climbed into the furnace. Cats, you gotta love 'em.

Bren said...

Thanks for sharing the whole story! How in the world did he get Poo Poo from Patches?

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi blue momba,
that cat name is a hoot! giggling! happy weekend friend, kathleen :)

ps. i'm waiting for you to finish that note to me. you got me all curious :)

Cheri said...

Oh, Patches is so adorable and fluffy. How could anyone not love him??? I love cats and wish I could have one, but unfortunately my husband is horribly allergic to cats...and right now, I do love him more than cats. :-)

Kimberly said...

Cats like that are rare indeed. You must miss him so much!

Serina Hope said...

Patches was a pretty pretty cat. I love the picture of Hubby with the cat and the cat magazine. Too funny!!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

You said you gave him many baths? How scratched up did you get?

justmylife said...

I had a cat like that, she was my best friend. When I was sick, she was there. When I was sad, she was there. She came up missing and I finally mourned her "death" after 2 weeks. My husband went to a friends house and saw a cat that looked like my Sheba, the friend had tolerated her for 2 weeks before he shot her and buried her, the next morning she was on his porch, muddy but alive. I went to see her and before I got her name out she was in my arms! I got to be with her for 7 more months before the dogs across the street killed her. I still miss my baby girl!! She was great and a lot of entertainment. Glad you got to enjoy your "baby" for 19 years, thats great. I know you miss him.

cate said...

what a cute story! you sound like as much of a cat person as i am. we had to let our 5 (yes...five!) furry friends go this summer. the boys were starting to react to them, and my asthma was getting so bad, so we had to find new homes for them...i miss them so much! :(

you know, my parents have a cat, Willy. a few years ago, when he was only about 8 months old, he went missing. they searched everywhere. the called for him, they shook the snack container to see if he would come out of hiding. my dad even took the tractor out into the fields to look for him. nothing. on the 4th day that he was missing, my dad heard something odd. he went to look, and found Willy stuck in a tree down the road from the house! he had been there for 4 days (through rain and everything), and he couldn't figure out how to get down! poor little guy! man, did he eat when dad got him back inside! :)

Junebug said...

That was hilarious! I almost choked.

Beckie said...

Don't ya just love cats like that - you don't find them everyday.

angel said...

oh my goodness i woulda gone nuts had it been one of my furry masters!
i'm so glad he turned up again, and i'm so pleased for him that he hd such a loving family for such a long time!

kitten said...

Okay! hand over the tissue! Your story is kind of like mine, but mine wasn't in the fireplace. I lost her 6 months. Yes, I meow too! I had her for 18 years before I had to have her put the sleep. I thought I was grown because I had kids. I ran out of that vet like a little titty baby. Her name was Panther Dianne. Yep! She had a middle name!
Thanks for sharing.

Kellie said...

Wow--looked like a completely different cat!! I'm not a cat person, but the pics you posted? I'd be a cat person to snuggle with them :)

Sorry you had to put him to sleep. I've made that decision once with a dog and it was one of the most difficult things I've done. I'm dreading the day I may have to make that decision again with my current dog :(

elena jane said...

he certainly did look like a totally different cat! and how wonderful that he was with you for so long :-)

Catwoman said...

It takes a strong man to be willing to have his pictures taken reading Cat Fancy while a big white cat uses his chest as a cat condo.

I know you guys have your difficulties at time, but I think that picture proves that he is worthy of our Blue Momma! :)

buddha_girl said...

I fucking love that cat and the story! I showed the pics from the previous post to my friend who would NOT believe that it was the same cat. Freaking hysterical! I love that story.

*hugs to ya* Momma!

Toni said...

What a funny story!

Rachel said...

I thought those were two different cats in those pics on Wed.! I'm slow sometimes. Sounds like Patches was an awesome kitty.

I used to have a snow white kitty. His name was Kit Kat. I had to give him up earlier this year because we found out that Alyssa is severly allergic to cats. But, it's ok, he lives with my aunt and my 11-year old cousin and he's very happy!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

What a great story! Thank god you found her, and I don't think I would have realize it was the same cat if I had not seen the pics in the context of the story. I am really sorry she is no longer with you. Cats make the best family members. Except when won't stop pissing on the bathroom throw rug.

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

oh i am dying laughing over the pee carpet comment!! :) hope your day is going groovy well blue momma, kathleen :)