Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Just When You Think You Know Someone....


Hubby and I have had our moments the past year. Or not had our moments, depending on how you want to look at it. We've had a lot going on, a lot of changes in our lives and a lot of adjustments which we've adjusted to with varying levels of success.

I had a pretty bad day this past week. All of life just seemed to fall on top of me last Tuesday. It also didn't help that my head was about to explode and that I couldn't breathe through my nose. At all. I am SO not a mouth breather. Anyway, it was pretty bad.

Hubby, well, was oblivious to my distress. When I told him I was having a crappy day (he was on his way home from work) he offered to buy me pizza. Pizza. I need a head amputation, not a damn pizza.

Later that evening we had a long discussion about how I've been/was/am feeling. Of course I figured it was just like always, in one ear and out the other. I mean that is how it usually is.

But since then he's been trying. So I've been trying. Which, this year, is something new for both of us. I've thanked him for things and he's thanked me. Again, new for us as of late. Yesterday he was offering to help with the clothes and I suggested that if he wanted to help he could do our floors.

We have hardwood floors in our dining room/living room/foyer and they haven't been stripped and polished since this time last year. I know, I suck at house cleaning. And the last time they were done? He did it. So he says ok, that he would start on them that evening.

Punkin and I slept in the basement so we were out of the way and then got up and went to my mother's today so that he could finish the job. I called later this evening to see how things were going and to find out what time we should come home (I was going to cook dinner, of course. No, seriously, I was).

He was kind of snappy, the call was short, and we headed home.

When we drove in front of our house Punkin said "It's Christmas! It's Christmas!". I reminded him that it wasn't yet and we went into the house. As we entered it became apparent that hubby had dragged out all of the Christmas stuff. I had suggested that he might do it as I was planning to get a head start on decorating in the coming week.

When I left home this morning, my living room looked something like this, but maybe a little worseWhen I came home it looked like thisHubby had put the tree together! Y'all don't know it, but I despise putting the tree together. Though this is a new tree and it comes in three sections, it still sucks ass to put it together. He even started putting the lights on it. And lights? My second least favorite thing about Christmas trees. It's a wee bit early, but hey, I don't have to put the freaking tree up!

YAY HUBBY!

It just proves that no matter how well you think you know someone after 15 years, they can still surprise you.

Now? He's putting lights on Punkin's Christmas tree in the basement, as I am typing this. My Punkin's tree and all it's decorations? Bought last year at WalMart for 75% off. It will be so ghetto fabulous!!!

So for today, and hopefully for a while and even forever? Hubby rocks. And I love him.

30 comments:

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Yay for Hubby's surprise! Oh, that's wonderful Blue Mom. We put our tree up yesterday, too. It's not too early.

Queeny said...

Good job, hubs. I love it when mine surprises me like that -- by just doing something so thoughtful and unexpected. It almost makes up for those other times, doesn't it.

Willowtree said...

Now if you could just stop bitching at him for a few day's you'd be even.

What!? Us guys have to stick together.

Emma in Canada said...

Those thank yous go a long way. I always say to William that he's great at bitching but no good at complimenting. I wish I could put my tree up. There is just not enough room. So it'll go up on my birthday.

AndreAnna said...

Awww, what a sweet guy!

Kimberly said...

How lovely to find a happy moment like that after a rough patch. How very, very well I know the feeling. It gives you hope.

Serina Hope said...

Yay! I am so happy for you.
Every now and then they do something that reminds you how much you love them. Those moments are priceless.
And I am with you on hating to put the tree together. I may have to figure out a way to show Randy this post ;)

swampy said...

I hope you are breathing normally, again.
Your pictures remind me of what my entire upstairs looks like. We had to replace all the carpet due to a skunk being dragged into the house and upstairs.

Jennifer said...

It's like sometimes all those episodes of Law and Order final sink in and they realize women kill their husbands every day and get away with it, thanks to our fantastic legal system. So polish the damn floors and put the damn tree up or I'll poison your Jello and plead PMS!!!

jennifer said...

Remember how you spent all that time fixing it so my name would light up?? I forgot how to make it work. I told you I"m technologically ignorant!!!! and i'm tired too. Way too much time spent with sweaty, soccer playing 12 year old girls this weekend. Altho...my daughter happened to score the winning goal (only goal) in the only game they won this weekend!! if you were wondering!

Alida said...

Very cool. It's so nice to be reminded why you fell in love in the first place. Very, very cool.

Bren said...

How sweet of the Blue Hubby! Sounds like he worked really hard today.

I was waiting until next weekend to put my tree up but I've read about so many people putting it up already that I want mine up now too. My hubby just rolled his eyes though.

dawn said...

I love it when hubby does things that makes my life easier, because he was listening when I said I hate doing that, or I am not well. Way to go.

cate said...

awww, what a sweet surprise! Carlos did something like that once...we couldn't find the Christmas tree in all of our junk (first year in this house), and i was so upset. he said he didn't see the big deal. by the time Dec. 23rd rolled around, i gave up.

then i came home from work, and it was put up in our living room. he had been digging through piles of junk, and put it up even though it was only 2 days before Christmas!

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

awesome. since i mentioned being thankful, my hubby has said thank you for random things, not just thank you for passing me something at the table. and we had a little discussion of our communication skills which seem to be lacking a little bit lately and we're doing much better. it is amazing what you can get done when you just SAY WHAT YOU WANT! Woohoo!

Steph said...

YAY for hubby! Mine helped me put ours up and then I did the lights (I hate lights). Im glad things are going well.

Feener said...

so sweet. sometimes they get it just right !!! so happy for you.

i came home on sunday from food shopping, i took sass with me and frass was napping. so daddy had nice quiet time. i was more than happy to let him nap, he was up early with the girls and let me sleep in. when i got home he was outside raking the leaves !!! i was so happy, that he choose to rest a little but work a little. i think he is getting it.

Rachel said...

How sweet of Hubby to do that for you!!! Maybe I should start dropping hints now about how much I hate setting the tree up.

her indoors said...

well done hubby!
i hate putting the lights on too, send him over please!

That Chick Over There said...

Oh that is so freaking nice!

Sandy said...

Do you remember now why you fell in love with him? OK, so that wasn't it but this may be why you stay in love with him. Thanks for sharing this. I may even thank my husband for something tonight.

Catwoman said...

I think I told you once about a book that I read that helped my marriage get better after our rough patch. And that was one of the things it said to do. When you think about it, we compliment our kids all the time, because all the experts say that if you focus on the negative with them, they just stop trying after a while. But compliments and thank yous get them to try harder. And hubbies are the same way. It's amazing once we change our attitudes/behavior how they take our cues and eventually try too.

I'm glad your hubby took the time to do this for you. You needed it desperately.

I'm hoping you're feeling better healthwise too.

And the lights on the tree look beautiful!

Jill said...

How sweet! He sounds like a great guy. Anyone who offers to pick up a pizza for me is a friend for life!

elena jane said...

whoohooo, glad the tree is up, glad hubby surprised ya. just when ya think it's not gonna happen, they pull it together.
great room btw, love the colours!! :)

Becky said...

He is so wonderful to put up the tree and the lights for you!
I am going out today to get me a new one cause I broke ours last year. (don't ask)
You have yourself a keeper!



ps I tagged you so come on over and see!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

I am so glad that hubbie took what you said to heart. I hope you are feeling more up to speed this week and that things are better.

justmylife said...

Can I borrow your hubby for a couple of days? My hubby hates to do the outside lights, usually he waits to put them out sometime in Dec. I would like to get them up the day after Thanksgiving. So just send him my way for a few hours!!! ANd if he has time,I hate to put up the tree too.

Cathy said...

That's the best kind of surprise. We want to see the Punkin's tree too!

Jessica said...

I love the tree beautiful.

Phat Phannie said...

Oh, how wonderful. What a nice hubby you've got yourself there.