Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


The Humble Housewife wants to hear about or see a holiday tradition, recipe or event. I'm gonna talk about Christmas because I. Love. Christmas!

We usually put our tree up shortly after Thanksgiving. The day after, if I can manage it. I love decorating the tree. And we traditionally have an artificial tree, though we did try a real one the first year we were back in Alabama. It sucked ass. Yes, I hated it. Plus I don't know how hubby ever got it home since after he got it here I realized it must have originally been headed towards Rockefeller Plaza. It was one huge tree. Sucky, but big.

In the past, and when I still lived at home, we always opened one present on Christmas Eve. However, since moving back to Alabama with Punkin, my parents and Granny have been coming up on Christmas Eve and spending the night. We open our presents from them on Christmas Eve and save the ones from us to Punkin and from Old HoHo for Christmas Day. They are here to see Punkin when he walks in and spots his Christmas loot and that's pretty cool. This year should be killer fun because he is so, so, so excited about Santa!

Since we are pretty much turkeyed out from Thanksgiving, we usually just have different appetizers on Christmas Eve. Last year my sister and her family came up and we had quite a spread. We had enough food for an army! Hot food, cold food, salty, sweet, prepackaged, homemade. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. This year should be more low key since we are officially broke and that big spread? Major $$$$$$$$$$.

On Christmas day we just chill out and play with the new toys. My parents leave mid morning and head to my sister's in Montgomery, so we are usually are still in our pajamas at bedtime. So, our Christmas is great for us, but probably pretty boring for yall to read about. I do plan to scavenge all types of cool traditions from the other Fun Monday posts (particularly that pajama one!) so that we can have great traditions, too. So go visit the other Fun Monday participants and if I miss anything good, please, let me know!

27 comments:

Karmyn R said...

Since I have a December birthday - we always waited until the week or so before Christmas to get our tree. If my kids had a say in it - we'd have our tree now! ha ha

Bren said...

I wish we could still be in our pjs at bedtime. We usually drive to my mom's house that night. I guess we could go in pjs though.

Love the idea of a big appetizer spread. We're usually turkeyed out by then too.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

I was beginning to get worried about you!! I wanted to do the pjs, too, but boy howdy! They are expensive. And, after a few years, you end up with a LOT of pjs. Punkin lookis like he digs Christmas.

mjd said...

Looking at children enjoying Christmas is always delightful.

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

I THINK THE FACT THAT YOU STAY HOME AND PLAY WITH TOYS ON CHRISTMAS DAY ROCKS! NOW ONCE HE'S BIGGER IT WONT BE AS MUCH OF AN ISSUE BUT I HAVE NIECES AND NEPHEWS THAT ARE 16-7, AND THEY HAVENT GOTTEN TO STAY HOME AND PLAY WITH TOYS FOR AT LEAST THE LAST 4 YEARS THAT I KNOW OF. THEY ARE UP MY PARENTS WAZOO BECAUSE THEIR DADS (MY BROTHERS) WANT TO GO SHOOT GUNS AND RIDE 4 WHEELERS AND PULL THE KIDS ON SLEDS IF ITS SNOWED. I THINK IT SUCKS. WE'VE BOYCOTTED THE LAST 3 YEARS AND STAYED HOME BECAUSE WE THINK ITS UNFAIR THAT THE KIDS DONT GET TO STAY HOME WITH THEIR PRESENTS. YOU ROCK!

janet said...

sounds like fun to me! :-)

Secret Agent Mama said...

What an awesome blogpost!!! :D I can't wait to hear/see more of your holiday season!!!

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Now that my very favorite holiday, Halloween, has passed, I am eagerly anticipating Thanksgiving AND Christmas. It's going to be so busy!

kitten said...

Beautiful pics. Oh! You being in AL you aint that far for me to run you our left overs, bacause we have them for a week.
I put an add on to my blogg to Fun Monday.

lisa's chaos said...

As a kid we always opened presents on Christmas Eve too, then had dinner and play time on Christmas. :)

Kimberly said...

I'm suddenly craving egg nog. Lovely post!

Emma in Canada said...

Jeesh took ya long enough. I've read a few comments on the pj tradition being expensive, but really it isn't. The pjs the girls are getting this year? Bought at Old Navy for $1.97 each in January.

Oh, and I think your Christmas sounds quite lovely.

Serina Hope said...

Now that sounds like a perfect Christmas to me.
I love the photos. I was getting a little worried about you today :)

cate said...

that sounds like a great Christmas! we used to stay in our jammies when it was just my immediate family, but now that there are spouses, children, in-laws, it's not feasible.

i can't wait for Christmas this year...the boys are older and Zander is really understanding what i tell him about Christmas...even Santa Claus!

now i just have to figure out where to put the Christmas tree so that Logan doesn't DESTROY IT!

my4kids said...

We have always opened one gift on Christmas Eve. It's always there new Christmas jammies and something I loved as a kid myself so I decided it would be too fun to do with my own kids! They know they are opening jammies but still very excited about it!

dawn said...

Last year along with the 3 family dinners during Christmas and New Years week, we also had a neighbourhood potluck and we had New Years eve with friends. I must have gained 10 pounds. I think I would gain 10 pounds at your meal as well.

Kaytabug said...

I am really getting into the Christmas spirit I want to decorate!
I love lounging in the pj's all day!
Until we started getting real ones tradition for me was to put up the tree the day after thanksgiving. Now I just start to decorate then!

Toni said...

My mother DEMANDS that we spend the majority of our Christmas with my parents at their home. I am getting tired of it and now am even more so at the thought of being in jammies all day long. Ahhh, so jealous!

lisa's chaos said...

Hey, I put up a photo of the Old English Cheese if you're still curious. :)

Overwhelmed! said...

I don't think your Christmas sounds boring at all! It sounds nice. :) Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I wanted to let you know that I've got some free books up for grabs as part of my November Pay It Forward Book Exchange. Stop by if you're interested in a chance to win. :)

Robin (the PENSIEVE one) said...

I think our kids enjoy the "same ol', same ol'" about the holidays. They know what to expect and look forward to it.

I've read a couple of tradition posts that talk about appetizers all day on Christmas, and I think that's a fantastic idea--grazing all day means you'll never actually get hungry. And because most appetizers are bite size, you won't have to wash forks!

We always use a fresh tree, but every year I say I'm gonna buy an artificial one AFTER they're on sale...and so far, I never have (the "good ones" are picked over...)

Catwoman said...

That sounds like a fantastic Christmas!

But I am concerned that you hate real trees. We got our first one last year and we loved it! What's to hate? It smelled nice, it was pretty. Do you hate everything that's pretty and smell nice?

Don't you love how I jump to these conclusions?

Tiggerlane said...

I'm all about staying in my pajamas, as long as humanly possible. I need to spend the holiday with your family!

ChrisB said...

You get your tree up really early, I'm always scrabbling at the last minute, and I like to leave the decorating for my grand children when they arrive to stay.

Jo Beaufoix said...

Hi sweetie.
Love the Christmas Pics. Can't wait for it this year.
And sorry I've not been over to visit for a bit.
Nanowrimoing at the moment.
Phew!

theotherbear said...

I wish I could be in my PJs still at dinnertime on Christmas Day. I find it the most stressful day of the year!

alisonwonderland said...

we usually stay in pajamas all Christmas Day too! :)