Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Our Day at the Pumpkin Patch with Punkin


This morning the whole gang - yes, that means all three of us - got up and went to the pumpkin patch. Actually it is called Old Baker Farm, but they have a huge pumpkin patch and it just sounds better saying we went to the pumpkin patch, doesn't it? Anyway, we went. The end.

No, really, there is more. Punkin had a ball. Right now I'm trying to concentrate on this post while attempting to ignore the snoring of hubby which I can hear from the other room. He's always so agreeable when it comes to getting Punkin down for his nap when he is here. Funny, he always seems to accidentally fall asleep, too. Men.

So we got there and there were about ten shit loads of people there already. I hate crowds, so I was immediately wishing we had just stayed at home and ate Eggos and turkey bacon, but I was there and Punkin was excited so we went on in. If I was M I would have had the sense to take a pic of the parking pasture as I'll call it. But I'm not, so I didn't. Just imagine though, ok?

We trek walk up to the entrance and it is $9 each to get in. Of course they are taking cash. Luckily I grabbed $30 when we left, intending on spending it on drinks and goodies. I didn't even think about having to pay admission. But at least we were able to get it, even though we had to by pass the kettle corn, roasted corn, candy apples, etc. Are you getting hungry just thinking about it? I am.

They had tons of little pedal tractors all over the place. Notice hubby has on boots as he was sure we would be knee deep in mud since it rained yesterday. The wife is always wrong about these things. Right?

Punkin had a fit to get on each and every one, though he refused to pedal them. Hubby had to be the power for him today. They had this big flatbed truck thingie with mesh sides - I have no idea what these are called - half full of cotton. You crawled in one end and basically played in it like it was a trampoline. Punkin had a blast! He didn't want to get out of it. There was cotton all over the ground for about four foot all around it even though the girl kept telling the kids (and some adults) to quit throwing it out.

I would have taken a photo of the truck, but I only brought my "good" lens and I'd have had to have walked about half a mile away to have been able to get the whole thing in the frame. I either need money for more lens or a cheap ass camera with no adjustments! Or maybe I just need to take a photography class to learn to use what I have. That's probably the best idea.

Punkin was all excited about seeing hay, too.This was in front of the hay maze, but being the overprotective parents we are we didn't want him to get in it and get snatched lost, and being the little smarty pants grown man that he is he didn't want us to go with him. So he just had to pout a bit.There were all of the standard farm animals to see, plus some adorable bunnies. Punkin went nutso as he's been dying to go to "the barn" here lately. They were for the most part behind chicken wire, so the photos aren't worth posting. Though the old Rebel did an admirable job of focusing on what was behind the chicken wire. I guess I'll keep it.

There were really pretty flowers all around, but again I'm not so good with the remembering to use the camera, so I only got one photoThey had hay rides (a tractor pulling a huge wagon with wobbledy sides with hay to sit on) to the pumpkin patch. Thankfully this, and the pumpkins themselves, were included with admission or we would have been screwed.

Here are photos of Punkin NOT posing or even looking at me while we rode in the wagon.
The leg you see is some chick he picked up on the ride. He wouldn't even sit with us. What a ungrateful little shit ladies man, huh?

Here is the pumpkin patch
and Punkin scouring the ground for the perfect pumpkin. He wanted a green one, but none of them were green enough for him.

He's still lookingAnyway, we ended up walking back to the "farm" and by that time we were all worn out and I was tired of carrying my pumpkin so we left. At Punkins request we went to Dairy Queen and had a strawberry sundae.

These are our pumpkins, from l to r: Hubby's, Punkin's, Mine.
Hubby's will get carved, the other two will just sit and bask in their glorious pumpkiniferousness. Spell check didn't like that word. Did you? I think its just dreamy!

While photographing the pumpkins (pumpkin is too close to Punkin - I keep leaving the P out and having to go back and add it!) I notice something in the remains of my flowers

Do you see it?

A opportunistic tomato plant has made itself at home in the midst of my flowers. I think it was probably hiding from Punkin who has ripped every other tomato off the vine before it had a chance to ripen. Natural selection at work. Only the ones who can walk away and hide survive around here!

28 comments:

Steph said...

It looks like he had a GREAT time! :) Im sorry you missed out on the food. I'd have been bummed about that! (I love fall food).

dawn224 said...

pumpkiniferousness is great!

elena jane said...

looks like SO much fun!! i hate the crowds at our orchard, it's INSANE. and lol @ the parking pasture. tho that's a lot to get in imo!! ours doesn't charge admission but overprices everything else ;-)
LOVE the pics, cute pumpkins (and punkin too of course).
lol @ the hiding tomato....

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

You survived. And, you got pumpkins to prove it. Why is it neither of our little men will pedal?

We're going to our Pumpkin farm tomorrow. But, unlike you, our pumpkins are store bought & thrown in a field, so you just go & pick one up. SD went last year & it was so fun he strung 3 words together to describe it--which was huge for my 18 mo old. Pickapumpkin. Isn't that sweet?

And, look at you, you even figured out how to put pictures in a neat little row. That's perty cool.

I love your sly little tomato plant. Yay for survival of the fittest. I'm thinking you are gonna make some fried green ones.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

I noticed the tomato plant right away! I want to go to the pumpkin patch even though my kids are a bit older...just to say we picked out pumpkins...then bring them home, carve them, make something delicious from the pulp, and toast the seeds. But I don't think I have enough money OR energy.

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

sounds like a lot of fun, but really charging admission for a kid like that. SUCKS ASS. sorry. had to say it. give me a friggin break. you buy the pumpkins, you buy the food. whatever. NINE DOLLARS! shit. sorry. umm. yeah. sorry. we buy them from roadside stands where i come from and the pumpkins are $2-5 and you had fun picking from the truckload. whatever. and i totally saw the tomato! woohoo!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Great post! Sound like you had a great time, but wtf is it with places like this that are cash only? If you are going to have ten shit loads of people trudging around your farm couldn't you at least get a damn phone line run out there for a credit card machine? The bastards.

Glad you had fun, though!

Kimberly said...

Punkin looks good in orange. =P

random_mommy said...

He looks so old! He doesn't even look like a toddler, definitely preschooler material.

buddha_girl said...

Your post has completely brightened my evening! I'm jealous...we bought our two damn pumpkins at Walmart. Fuck me running.

If I ever get my slack ass together, I'll post our apple picking pics from last weekend. I refused to buy a pumpkin because I didn't want to have to lug that shit back home...three hours by car.

You tell Punkin I said to work his bad-ass self! Tell Hubby I said he should stop being such a fucktard and listen to you when you tell him not to wear boots!

buddha_girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

That looks like so much fun! Love the photos -- so very cute. Still need pumpkins... costumes ...

Serina Hope said...

It looks like you three had an awesome Saturday. you camera takes fantastic pictures. the flowers are really lovely.
I am glad that Punkin finally got to go to the barn. Of course, I am sure that he is ready to go back already.

Beckie said...

Your pumpkin patch experience was much like ours. What is it with kids and not wanting to sit with their parents? You picked way better pumpkins than we did - good job!

Phat Phannie said...

Oh well, the pictures were worth the price of admission. Who needs all that yummy stuff, anyway? (and Punkin? Total doll!)

One year I took Little Man to a local farm that had pumpkins and attractions. Ummm, ok, I live in Arizona. So, let me tell you, all of the pumpkins? Mush, pure mush. He was mad. I was disappointed, and I vowed never to visit a pumpkin patch in AZ again! Oh and they had rides too. The kind of rides that have been neglected for a very, very long time. It was the saddest excuse for entertainment I have ever seen.

AND THEY CHARGED FOR ADMISSION.

Emma in Canada said...

It's October! It should not be shorts weather! It's just wrong. However, my future son in law? Adorable!

bermudabluez said...

Terrific Post! I really enjoyed the tour of the patch! Very cute pics!!

ChrisB said...

Lovely photos looks like a lot of fun despite the cost.

Toni said...

What a great day. My family also went to a pumpkin patch this weekend but not a great one like you did. The pumpkins were already picked and sitting there for you to choose. A little let down but the kiddos didn't notice.

Robin said...

"glorious pumpkiniferousness"

Even before I read your thoughts on that word, I had a crush on you :).

Jenni said...

I just love the pumpkin patch and all things fall. I posted about our visit to the pumpkin patch over the weekend, too:o)

Catwoman said...

Hey, we also went to the big pumpkin patch here, but of course, our pumpkins aren't actually in a field. Who knew that they grew in nature!

nell said...

Great photos! Looks like you guys had a really fun time.

I hate when admission is more than what I expect.

Bren said...

Linked to your blog from Dawn's Because I Said So. Love pumpkiniferousness!!! :)
Our local pumpkin patch is in a grocery store parking lot and no where near as fun as yours.

Here's my blog if you get a spare minute and wish to visit... http://www.momof3littlemonkeys.blogspot.com/

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

Oh that looks like so much fun! I'm so jealous that you guys have stuff to do at your Pumpkin patch! Ours only has pumpkins. And pumpkins. That's it. It's boring after about 3 minutes.

Secret Agent Mama said...

.oO looks like you all had a wonderful time! Pictures are priceless!!

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Looks like a great day!!

cate said...

oh, he is so cute! looks like he had tons of fun!

btw...i do believe Merriam Webster has plans to add "pumpkiniferousness" to their dictionaries in the near future! i love it!