Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


Janet from From the Planet of Janet is our Fun Monday hostess this Monday. She wants us to:
Describe your meeting with your spouse/significant other. I especially want to hear "meet cute" stories. And it doesn't have to be your actual current sig/other. Perhaps the "meet cute" story is a former boy/girlfriend... or even a best friend. Illustrate with photos, of course.
This one is a little hard for me because our story isn't so cute. It's actually a little boring. But it's Fun Monday and I signed up and you are here reading so here it is in all of it glory.

I met my husband while we were still in college. I had taken a job at JC Penney and I was assigned to work in men's clothing. On the way to the men's clothing section I had to pass the shoe/sporting goods department. As I passed by I saw this:Ok, this isn't actually what I saw. This is at the airport in Calgary, but it was 1992 and I was a poor student who wasn't carrying a camera around with her. So for our purposes? This is the JCP in BFE, Alabama. Every time I walked by he was standing behind that damned hat rack and all I could see was his head!

I thought, uh, he's cute, but waaaay to young. Which was true. So in a couple of weeks I was transferred over to shoes - do you see the hand of fate moving here? - where he proceeded to get on my last nerve for the next four or five months. He was 20, I was 24. He was living with his Mommy, I had been out of the house for nearly eight years. He was working on his BS, me on my MA.

We couldn't have been more different. But over time I guess he wore me down. Or maybe it was all of the alcohol I was consuming back then. Or maybe he couldn't resist the hoop skirt. (That photo is actually from high school in 1984, but it was the only photo of me where I was anywhere near thin that I could find. And when I worked at Penney's? Short skirts everyday. Not mumus like now.) Anyway, after a few months, a kazillion few booty calls and copious amounts of alcohol, we were a couple. Inseparable. Shacking up.

We got married a couple of years later and lived happily ever after-

- for the next 10 years. Then we had our son and, that, that is another story........;)

Hey! You! Wake up! Go over to Janet's and check out the list of other Fun Monday participants. I bet they will keep you awake, even if I failed miserably.....

51 comments:

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

awwhh cute story blue momma. how are you doing tonight? take care chickadee, kathleen :)

Nora Bee said...

Cute! I married a younger one too, good choice :-)

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Hey! That's the first pic I've actually seen with you in it! Cause seriously, if we're long-lost twins separated by fate, it would be nice to know what you actually look like!

Not boring. Sweet. You cradle robber you.

Natalie said...

Awww, I love to hear how people met.

As a side note: I worked in a men's department in college, too. What, do they think the young girls sell clothes better? They called it "Mens Furnishings" and it was by far the most yawn-inducing job I have ever had!

mjd said...

You are right your hubby is very cute. I think your love story is wonderfully fun. The pretend picture of the cute guy at JC Penney's is priceless.

Robinella said...

I'm older by a few months. Mine is still in puberty.

Crysm said...

So I know you just got done with all the award posting... so I'm truly sorry to give you another. ;)

Please visit my blog to see the award I've nominated you for.
www.memoirsofamommy.com
~Crys

Crysm said...

Oops... I forgot a part of my blog address. Sorry!
It's at:
www.memoirsofamommyblog.com

janet said...

oh i soooo love the photographic "evidence"! and i also robbed the cradle, tho only by about 10 months.

Peter said...

Not at all boring, but if you're worried you can borrow my first story any time you want too.

Beccy said...

Great story, I met my hubby at college and he is two years younger than me!

Sayre said...

Love your story, Mrs. Robinson! Coo-coo-cachoo!

WorksForMom said...

YOU are freaking hilarious. This was so fun.

Hootin'Anni said...

This is just too sweet!! I love it. And your hubby is a cutie patootie. But hey...so are you in that photo! And you both, obviously, are meant to be one!!!!

Lovely story.

her indoors said...

he is a cutie, and me i got no photos of me anywhere near thin lol

nikki said...

Uh....what's up with the lizard?

Great story! I met my hubby at work too.

dawn said...

Well you managed to make your uninteresting story interesting and amusing. I love how you did the first photo; it is hilarious. Good job on your post.

Karina said...

Maybe it was the photos, but I thought it was a pretty fun "meeting" story.

susan said...

You crack me up in the way you tell the story! And with that last picture, I just keep thinking "your son is a lizard???" My sweetie came with reptiles too, what's with that???

Catwoman said...

The pic of the Calgary airport store passing for JC Penney? Sheer brilliance, my friend. That actually made me laugh out loud or LOL, if you want.

And you in the hoop skirt? Totally convinces me that this is every day garb in Alabama.

Debs said...

LOL Cradle Robber. This is a sweet story and not boring at all! :)

Beckie said...

Hey, that was a GOOD one. Romance at JC Penney in BFE, AL - it doesn't get any better than that!

Kimberly said...

That's such a nifty story! And my goodness...will you take a look at those legs?!

Emma in Canada said...

So for a second there I thought you had been in Calgary and I was thinking feck if only you'd come a bit further north.

That's a very sweet story but I would like to know what happened after the arrival of the child.

And what the hell is that in his arms?

Christine said...

You did rob the cradle didn't you. That's OK, so did I!! And I met him at work too. Hilarious story, I didn't find it at all boring.

Great job on the award, it's really cool!!

Karmyn R said...

I love how he eventually won you over - even after bugging you for so many months!

Joy T. said...

You didn't fail miserably at all, I loved the story! FINALLY someone from Fun Monday who didn't meet in a bar LOL Hubby's cute and woohoo look at those legs on you. Ok that sounds weird because I'm a girl but hey. I calls em as I sees em.

Devilish Southern Belle said...

Awww, that sounds like a cute story!

Misslionheart♥ said...

That wasn't boring!

Thanks for calling in....

Tiggerlane said...

He IS a cutie! As are you!

The hat photo - toooooo funny! And I think he was trying to get on your nerves - the boy's way of flirting.

kitten said...

Cute story. Mine was a little younger. I guess the younger ones are presentant! LOL!

Serina Hope said...

That is a good story. I love your pictures. I really love the picture of you. You were a great southern belle.

lisa's chaos said...

You married your stalker? LOL Cute story!

terri said...

I loved your story! I'm in your club. I don't have the cutesie romantic story like so many others. I met my hubby at my sister's wedding. Got in a fight with my boyfriend, sent him home, and the hubby stepped in. The end.

Pamela said...

he is/was about as cute as a bugs ear. no wonder you couldn't resist him.

Your photo-shop of his head made my face crack.

willowtree said...

Huh? Is your husband a Lounge Lizard?

Jen M. said...

Great meet cute story!

ChrisB said...

I love your story 'over time he wore me down' -a bit like my story!

buddha_girl said...

HOLY SHIT! You in that dress! Classic stuff, sister.

I love your story and believe he was doing what middle school boys do: annoy the hell out of you because it's the only way they're assured to garner your attention. After that he was able to into SUAVE MODE.

Celestine said...

this post was so humourous... lovely love story :)

Alix said...

not boring, sweet and lovely. I love your hoop dress!

justmylife said...

I went to elementary, jr high and high school with my hubby. He was the troublemaker everyone knew and I was the friendliest person in school everyone liked, we never dated or hung out til high school, 9th grade for me, 10th for him, we went out and I have never looked back! OK a couple of times. High school sweethearts, oh, how sweet.

Kellan said...

Happily ever after - always love to hear that.

elena jane said...

aww, cute story....i should do this....don't have pics, but i can write, huh??
i love reading/hearing meeting stories, they're SO fun :)

Yankee Belle said...

LOVE the old school pics!!! FUn post! =)

Junebug said...

Come see my late post if you like...

Kaytabug said...

My guy is just a year and 2 months younger than I....
Cute story! I didn't think it was boring!Look at you showing sexy legs!!

Robin said...

Ah....true love over retail... Sounds like the makings of an 80s bratpack movie.

Love your photoshopping skills ;).

Sirdar said...

It was a good story and not boring at all. Funny about the Calgary photo fill in. I'm from near Edmonton and have been through that airport...once.

Rachel said...

I think the story is cute! What is more romantic than booty calls and booze?

angel said...

such a cool idea!