Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Brite Blue...and Proud of It!


As part of my Fun Monday post I posted this photoof the rear of my car. Almost every comment questioned what the bright blue dot was. Everyone must be awake today or something, because I've posted this same photo in a prior post and no one asked about it. Not one of twenty comments.

Well, today the blue dot is on fire. Nearly every comment mentioned it, or more exactly, questioned what it was. Go on over there and see. Someone left a comment explaining the dot, though they were decidedly coming at it from the polar opposite point of view as I. Yet, basically, they are accurate. Accurate, yet anonymous. RED head, why not link to your blog? It's not that you said anything inflammatory, so why no link?

Anyway, some background on the dot and why it's there. And why I'm Blue Momma, yet like red so much. It you could care less or are looking for haikus about poop, you probably will want to move on now.

I ran across the bright blue dot indirectly. I was either reading this blog which I can't even remember how I found, but damn is she funny, which led me to this other blog. Actually I think I was reading this other blog first and followed a link in a comment to this blog. Commenting really will get you more traffic, especially when your comments are really cool and funny. I'm still puzzled as to where my traffic comes from.... Anyway, these two blogs are linked and somehow I ended up at Brite Blue Dot site.

Please realize that I live in Alabama . Super, ultra conservative Alabama. Every where I go I am accosted by bumper stickers like these


Now to each his own, but personally? They make me want to puke. I didn't vote for him either time and if I had I sure as hell wouldn't be proud of it. This is my blog. I can say that. Hell, as far as I know, and if W hasn't changed it today, this is still a country where we CAN say we don't like or agree with our government. Though I haven't had the news on today, so I might ought to be careful.

Once, just once, I saw one of these

Now that one I thought was pretty cool. But I digress. The point being I am what you would categorize as a liberal. In Alabama I am definitely in the minority. That every other vehicle I pass seems to have one or ten of the Bush propaganda stickers on it makes me want to scream. God, I miss Massachusetts. So finding the brite blue dot? Totally gave me the warm fuzzies.

A way to express myself, to let "them" know I'm most definitely not one of the sheep. No way. And feel free to call me a liberal. I don't take that as an insult in the least. Go ahead and call me a blue dot. In fact, please call me one. It may be a disparaging remark to some of you, but I'll gladly accept the label.

Blue Momma? That name came from the idea I had early on for this blog to be somewhat political. Obviously that never materialized and I'm much more into poop than politics. Though often it is hard to tell the two apart, isn't it?

So this is on the rear window of my car
Not one of the sheep? Go buy your own. They have other items, too. That one with the baby really cracks me up.

As far as why I like red, hell, I don't know. I just do. I try to not think about what it has come to stand for. But what do red and blue make? Purple. What a coincidence. Purple is what this country really is and is also my favorite color. So if Motorola would make a purple phone and if Franklin Covey would come out with something in purple leather? I'd be all over it..

26 comments:

janet said...

you go, my blue g/friend!

me, i'm probably a little more purple'ish living in a pretty blue state. but part of what makes this country what it is ... is that we can have divergent views and we have the right to express them. hopefully we can do that without hurting each other in the process.

i'm sorry this turned into something other than the usual fun monday sport.

ohio blue eyes said...

i do love to see the BUCK FUSH bumper sticker 'round these parts...but since we're tech. a SWING state, we've got a good mix of blue & red dot folk.
thanks for the explanation though, I thought it was just a random blue dot!

Kimberly said...

Simple yet clever. I like!

mjd said...

I love this post. I love your blue dot, and I love your attitude. I know that you are a Blue Momma from the "Days Left in Office" in your sidebar. However, I am slow on the uptake. I missed the point of F the President until I said it to my self. Indiana is red too, but I bet not as red as Alabama. Plus, we in Lake County are as true blue as any Smurf.

Thea said...

O.K. That? Flippin' HILARIOUS! Good for you. I live in Ohio and am an avid TVaholic...unless it's around election time. Then I just can't stand it.

And you're right, that baby's face is perfect...

Not Afraid to Use It said...

That is a GREAT bumper sticker. I cannot wait to browse the site. I have a few friends I will be pointing in that direction, too.

When I lived in ATL, we lived in a small blue neighborhood in a SEA of red. One day walking through our little downtown area, I saw a car that someone had shoe-polished themselves. They had painted a swastika in their side windows with Bush's name under it. I would never be ballsy enough to do that, but I laughed my ass off, until I wanted to cry bc of the truth behind it. I thought the guy/girl was brave to do that to their car.

Karina said...

I'd never heard of this Blue Dot thing, but I love it! Maybe it's because I am in Massachusetts...So, are you originally from Massachusetts then? I do love the F-The President sticker, but I think the humor would be lost around these parts where we (thankfully) don't see the W stickers at all...

dawn224 said...

I like the "anyone else for president" stickers :)

Serina Hope said...

I love it. I am a blue dot in Bright Red Mississippi. I must have one of these. I must. You are gonna send me on , right? Right?

buddha_girl said...

I love the blue dot. In fact, I'm giving them as stocking stuffers this Christmas season! How great is that?

PS
My HG is a RED dot guy. We do NOT discuss politics. I never give in even when he begs. I know things will end in a HUGE fight. Who's the smart one?

~JJ! said...

I wish I woulda asked!!!!

Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck said...

I love the Blue Dot. Being a Boston girl, I am not used to living in a place where there are any Red-dotters! I managed to live in the "Bluest" part of my new home state, but I am definitely not in liberal land anymore.
I like the bumper stickers that just read 1-20-09. They always make me smile.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

You know I'm very proudly RED, but I think we've aleady established that if you weren't given the option to exercise your opinion we'd live in totalitarianism, and that's NOT okay for either of us. I love you, and wish your lurker would've had less cowardice!

Mommapeas said...

I love your blue dot. I have one of my own but it's still sitting on my desk. I refuse to be one of those hippies driving a station wagon covered in liberal bumper stickers, so for now I'm only sporting my Save Darfur sticker. But I figure that most know where I lean anyway! I guess when I let my guilt ease a bit about the situation in Sudan, I'll switch it out.

Jennifer said...

Well Said Anglophile!! What frustrates me the most about the world lately is how far we've strayed from the basic principles that make America what it is today. George Bush, with his attitude of 'if you're not with us, you're against us' has set us back CENTURIES!!! We should be able to agree to disagree without making each other feel less than human for having a difference of opinion!!

Kellie said...

Simple. Point making. Love it!!

If Motorola makes a purple phone, I'm ditching my pink Razr in t he blink of an eye!

Devilish Southern Belle said...

My friend Tiffani lives here in Alabama, and she has one of those!

Catwoman said...

As much as I'd love to have one of those "F the President" stickers, I'm thinking that would be the best way to get your car keyed in Texas...

Beckie said...

I think I'm in love...Oh, sorry. I do love your blue dot!

"MommaDrool" said...

BlueMomma, I love you and your blue dot...of course, I had to check out the post as soon as I got home...Happy Photoshoping!

cate said...

i was meaning to ask you what that blue dot was all about!

i love it! if we lived in the States, hubby and i would be proudly sporting us some blue dots...we're not too impressed with GW either!

Emma in Canada said...

You must secretly wanting to be Canadian with your love of red because in Canada read equals liberal. I'm a red girl myself. In Canada, that is. I'd be blue all the way were I American.

I'm a Mom!..? said...

Motorola does make a purple phone - W490 or something like! Looks like an upgrade on the RAZR -- I'm with t-mobile and of course in the market for a new phone....May she Rest in peace

Alida said...

I love this post! I moved from Los Angeles to a small town in Oregon. Oregon as a whole is liberal but...this little town is quite conservative. That's what led me to starting The Fish Bowl. I was causing quite the ruckus with my political blog posts. I found another venue for my political views and post about poop in my blog:)

I can so relate to you!

justmylife said...

I DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM EITHER AND I CAN'T WAIT TILL HE IS GONE, BUT I HAVEN'T, AS OF YET, DECIDED WHO I WANT TO REPLACE HIM!!!

M said...

Oh cod I love you more than ever. Like love you on a DOZEN bagels.

It makes me wanna pee my pants to have you mommobile with that on. Oh yes yes it does. The blue dot is so divine.

I have a secret love obsession with bumper stickers. I really need to have more than a damn marine corps sticker up!