Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

For One I Love So.....


My Grandmother is 90 years old. She has led a long, full, but not so easy life. She came from a large family and as the oldest girl had to quit school when she was in the 6th grade to work and help take care of the younger children. She married my Grandfather just before WWII. My mother was born while he was overseas and my Granny managed at home alone, saving every penny to start their new life after the war.

When Granddaddy came home, to Granny's surprise, he chose to be a farmer. Not an easy life. Certainly not an easy life for a small time farmer in small town Alabama. But they got by. She never drove a car. She worked on their farm, then worked from time to time outside the home while raising my mother with very little. My mother was in 7th grade when they purchased their first truck, which they still had when I was in 7th grade.

Granny had her first broken bone when she was kicked by a cow - yes, kicked by a cow. Shortly after my Grandfather died of pancreatic cancer my Granny went to the doctor. She was admitted directly to the hospital with a lemon sized cancer in her breast. With in a couple of years she had both cancerous breasts removed. This was in the late 70's when treatments were much less refined and precise than they are today. She suffered a burned lung during these treatments.

She has had a hip replacement and a shoulder replacement. These are along with arthritis and all of the other ailments old age brings. But she still lives alone and takes care of most of her own needs. She rides her power wheelchair to the grocery store (it's close by!) and does her own cooking. She keeps her apartment clean and her things in order

She also loves me more than anything. And she worships my Punkin'. Just worships him. And he loves her, too. He's such a rough and tumble boy, but he's so gentle with her. My family relationships have always been a bit tumultuous, but not with Granny. I always knew where she stood and that was firmly behind me. I haven't always felt that I came first with many people, but I know I did/do with her.

My Granny fell and broke her ankle in late July. At 90 the healing process is slow, but she has been getting better. However, last week she developed a staph infection in the broken ankle and has had to be readmitted to the hospital She is having an adverse reaction to the hardware the doctor's used to put her ankle back together. They have removed part of it, but if it is all removed her ankle will be pretty much useless and she'll more than likely be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

All of this has Granny pretty depressed. We are worried that she is just giving up. Just today the doctors put her on a catheter due to decreased kidney function. She isn't eating much due to some of the medicine she's on and we suspect partly due to her mood. She misses seeing her friends and going to the senior citizens center each morning. She misses going to church and getting to see her grandchildren. She feels a little forgotten I think.

I want to ask you all a favor. If you have the time and would like to make a nice old lady feel a little better and a little loved, could you send her a card? A postcard? A note? It would mean so much to her and to me. I just don't know what I'll do if she doesn't get better. If you could wish her well and tell her you're thinking about her, tell her you're praying, sending good vibes, talking to the goddess - whatever it is that you do - for her, I would be so grateful.

She doesn't know what a blog is and wouldn't understand if I told her, but you can just say you're a friend of Christi and that'll be enough for her. If any of you read this and wouldn't mind linking to this post, well, I'd just love you forever! And so would my sweet old Granny.

She can receive mail at:

St. Vincent's Hospital
Nellie Vincent
810 St. Vincent Drive, Room 529S
Birmingham, AL 35205

37 comments:

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

I will absolutely do that!

I promise to not even cuss!

Jennifer said...

I am so sorry about your granny. It's a hard thing to watch someone you love suffer. I can't promise to send a card, since I don't send cards to ANYONE, including my own family, but I will promise prayers. Lots of them.

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Consider it done. I'll certainly keep her in my prayers. Won't she feel like the queen bee at the hospital with post cards & notes from all over?

~JJ! said...

You are linked.

I hope you get lotsa reads with this one..

Send my love, please.

ChrisB said...

I will send your grandmother a card from Bristol in the UK on Monday. I don't have a large readership but will link to you tomorrow.

Kellie said...

This post brought tears to my eyes!! Your poor Granny!! I will certainly send her a card. Um...question, though.....will she know who "Blue Momma" is? :)

I will get her card mailed today. Keeping her in my thoughts and prayers and hoping she gets well really soon!!

Kellie said...

Um, I'm an idiot. I didn't see the part of your post with your name!! Sorry :)

Emma in Canada said...

I'll do this and I will link to it tonight when I get home. I have a card I just made.

Violet said...

I've linked to you, of course (!) and when I mentioned this to my husband he immediately picked out his OWN card to send, too. :) I hope your Granny receives hundreds of cards and well-wishes. She sounds like an amazing woman!

nell said...

You got it.

Mommapeas said...

Consider it done!

Tiger Lamb Girl said...

I just saw this over at Chrisb's blog. I'll definitely send your Granny a little something;). My beloved Mamma is 90 also- and I'd hate to think she was in the same boat - feeling lonely and not terribly hopeful about her health. Bless your Granny's heart! I promise, I'll post it out on Monday morning so it arrives as quickly as possible.
In the meantime - lots of prayers she heals! xo

Special K ~Toni said...

Heard about this from Jennifer/Binky- count me in!

BS said...

Just popped over from ChrisB. I will send your granny a card from Virginia. How I wish my grandma were still alive - I can pretend and send one to yours instead. Many prayers for quick healing will be sent your way.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

We will send her one from our neck of the woods this week. Thank you for writing about her life--it was amazing to read how much she has accomplished. I miss my Gramma very much. She is still living, but she isn't really the person she used to be. I still love her to pieces, but conversations are hard sometimes.

her indoors said...

Chrisb sent me over here, glad she did, your granny sounds like a wonderful person and if i can help to cheer her up i will do, so the card will be on its way monday, one thing we dont have is her name?!
oh and i going to link you too

Anonymous said...

Card is in the mail, what a thoughtful Grand daughter you are :)

M said...

Oh honey I'm doing it right this instant. You know I'd do that to cheer you (and her) right up! xoxoxoxoxo

elena jane said...

sending your granny a card in the morning's post!! my nan is 99 and i know how much she loves cards and notes...
all the best to your granny!

mjd said...

I am visiting from Chris B. I will send a card. I hope that your grandma is feeling better soon.

terri said...

What a wonderful tribute! Your granny is so lucky to have you. She will be in my prayers and I'll try to get a card out to her soon.

Jessica said...

Without a doubt consider it done--I so miss my Nana, so I am happy to adopt yours. My grandfather is still alive and kicking, too--with 2 titanium hips, a steeel rod in his back, and only one lung since 1953. I'll link to this too!!! Best wishes!

Summer said...

Oh, I hope she recovers soon!

Creamy Silver said...

Thank you for the sentiments and good wishes you left at my blog. We must have been in synch because at the same time you were commenting I was writing a card to your grandmother. I've just stamped it and hung it on the box. Yours is a really sweet gesture and I hope she gets lots of happy notes. Do let us know. I'll be checking back eager to hear :)

CakeHead said...

Aww, yes. I will go find her a card tomorrow!

Multi-tasking Mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Multi-tasking Mommy said...

What a touching story.
My daughter and I will make her up a beautiful picture and put it in the mail today!

I have also made a post about this for you...hopefully she'll get a few more!

Beccy said...

I bought some card making stuff so your granny will be the first to recieve one of my homemade cards.

ohio blue eyes said...

hand crafted (@ work!) picture is on the way to AL from OH!

Devilish Southern Belle said...

I will get this done ASAP! I hope your Granny is feeling better soon!

justmylife said...

I'll get a card in the mail ASAP!! I will also post about it in my blog (not too many readers, but it may get out a little further) Hope Granny is feeling better and I will keep her in my prayers!! Be Strong.

Catwoman said...

I'll send her a note tomorrow on a card with a picture of Little Man on the front. How sweet of you to do this for her. She sounds a lot like my grandmother!

Serina Hope said...

I am going to go by the store tonight and pick up a card. Indeed, Granny sounds a lot like my Mamaw. I won't be lying when I say that I am a friend of Christi. What a great warm hearted person you are to do this for Granny. I hope she gets better quickly.

Magpie said...

done. :)

lisa's chaos said...

Mailing it today, sorry I'm slow. :)

angel said...

you and your granny are all in my prayers... i was immensely close to my daddy darling's mom (my ouma, pronounced "owe-mah"), and she and damien adored each other too. i miss her lots.

ladyt said...

just sent out a card in the mail today for your granny. i hope she is feeling better soon. :)