Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Thursday Thirteen #2 - Schoolhouse Rock



Do you remember Schoolhouse Rock from Saturday mornings when you were a kid? If you don't you missed something great. It was also one of the few cartoons from my childhood that I can actually look back on and honestly state that I learned something from.

My husband bought me the DVD's a while back (because I mentioned liking them - a sure fire way to end up with any number of random things) and I must say I love them. I'm doing my best to pass this love along to Punkin. How cool would it be to know the preamble to the constitution before even starting preschool?

My Thirteen Favorite School House Rock Episodes

1. Conjunction Junction - Coolest learning tune. ever.
2. I'm Just a Bill - I loved Bill. I felt so bad for him at first. I think he was my first crush.
3. A Noun is a Person, Place, or Thing - I remember repeating this in my head in English class.
4. Preamble - In 8th grade Civics we had to learn and recite the preamble to the constitution. I think nearly every kid in the class sang it, even the tranquility, ee, ee, ee part!
5. Figure Eight - It killed me that we had no ice or snow and I couldn't learn to skate figure eights!
6. Lucky Seven Sampson - That's one lazy cool rabbit.
7. Interjections! -"Yow! That's not fair givin' a guy a shot down there!" hehe
8. Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla - Who knew loving an aardvark could be so satisfying?
9. Interplanet Janet - Janet was sooo cool. You go, galaxy girl!
10. Sufferin' Till Suffrage - Again, you go girl! Thanks for the priviledge to NOT vote for George Bush.
11. Three is a Magic Number - This was the first School House Rock. Rock on.
12. No More Kings - How many young kids know what taxation without representation is? The one's who watched School House Rock, that's who!
13. Verb: That's What's Happening - You bend that verb, Adverb!

I hope you enjoyed this walk down memory lane. Now, the Punkin and I? We're gonna go watch a few of these. Harvard will thank me for it one day!

35 comments:

WorksForMom said...

super.fantastic.list. i haven't thought about schoolhouse rock in ages. LOVED IT!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Oh. MY. GOD! I think we need to do an ESP thing. Cause, woman. YOU ARE IN MY HEAD again!!!!!! I was literally (LITERALLY) thinking about Schoolhouse Rocky yesterday. And, sang I'm just a bill to SD. And, was thinking about ordering the DVDs for him. AHHHHHHHHH>

Laura said...

This brought back alot of youthful memories! Didn't know you could purchase Schoolhouse Rock on dvd..will definitely go out and look for it now! Thanks for sharing a great list and for visiting my TT! Have a great weekend!

Kim said...

How funny! I, too, grew up watching those and I still find myself singing, "Oh I'm just a bill, just an ordinary bill..." every once in awhile.

Mommapeas said...

NICE! I loved it - Bill was also a favorite as well as 3 is the magic number.

About 10 years-ish ago there was a cover cd of Schoolhouse Rock songs - Blind Melon did 3 and it was great!

Serina Hope said...

My parents kept me in a box I think. I do not know what this is. I loved the Electric Company, is that cool?

Nicholas said...

Interesting list. I never saw that show, but it's nice to see your selection. Happy TT.

Mama's Moon said...

Oooh! Gotta drop the hint to Hubz for these!! Schoolhouse Rock rocked! I think that's why I was such a good student in english class!!

Happy Thursday!

Crysm said...

I totally remember these! What a great TT!! Thank you!!!!

Elle Fredrix said...

OMG. With those first words--conjuntion junction--it all came flooding back. thanks for the blast from the past!

nikki said...

The Magic Number is da bomb. My three year old can count by threes because of it. We have the School House Rock DVD. I love it.

justmylife said...

I had forgotten some of them!!! And THANKS!!! now I will have conjunction junction running through my mind all day!!!!! Really thanks for the memories.

~JJ! said...

Love schoolhouse rock!!!!

Interplanet Janet was always MY personal fave.

ChrisB said...

I'm not familiar with this programme, but from the comments it's obviously good.

David said...

If I remembered Schoolhouse Rock, I'd be hallucinating... just another reason for my wife n kids to consider placing me in some "care facility"--*heh*

Yeh, WELL after my day as a kid.

Still, musta been fun. I'll just stick with my memories of Howdy Doody

:-)

Emma in Canada said...

Oh I loved Schoolhouse Rock. Conjuction Junction was my favourite, followed closely by I'm Just a Bill. I don't know why that one, becuase I don't think bills move quite that way in Canada.

I was unaware it was on DVD. I should get that for the kids.

Feck, now it's in my head.

jenn said...

I remember a few, but had no idea there were so many!
Happy TT!

Beckie said...

I love school house rock!

dawn224 said...

I think I'll play these for the baby while he's NOT sleeping.

Vicki Gaia said...

Yikes ~ Never saw Schoolhouse Rocks!

jeanjeanie said...

I used Schoolhouse Rock to help study for my Perspectives in Human Behavior final in college (covered all the behavioral science perspectives, including poli-sci). I aced it, too.

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

I sure do miss school house rock!! I remember most of those.

yellowdog granny said...

I remember howdy doody and buffalo bob..does that help?

Harlekwin said...

I think I learned about the wonder of the number nine from Schoolhouse Rock! Thank you for a great trip down memory lane!

Deb said...

YEAH! We bought the double disc dvd! My kids learned how to count by 5's 2 years ago, and the 1st graders are just learning how to do that! HAHAHa my kids got a head start... na ha~

Damozel said...

For some reason, this rings a bell, though it's pretty clear it was after my days of rockin' the schoolhouse. In any event it sounds like a phenomenal learning tool...what a shame it's a thing of the past! Love the interjection one.

Thea said...

We were just singing "I'm Just a Bill" last night! LOL!

5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30...

Great list

Cheri said...

Love SchoolHouse Rock! I don't remember all the ones you listed, but I'm sure they would come back if I had the dvds. I'm going to have to find them as well! I know my daughter would love them the way we did growing up!

MetaMommy said...

Great post! And thanks for the reminder. I'm looking forward to sharing these with MetaBaby soon :-)

I loved them all, though I'm Just a Bill stands out. It might be because of the Simpson's parody, which I also loved.

island jen said...

I have a copy of Jack Johnson singing "3 is a magic number"... I had no idea it was from this show...

Veggie Mama said...

omigosh I love schoolhouse rock!

Conjunction Junction definitely wins.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

I love schoolhouse rock! We have it on DVD!

Secret Agent Mama said...

We are BIG TIME Schoolhouse Rock Fans!!

When we first moved here, the kids watched it -like- five times a day as we had no television hookup (which we still don't have). It's one of the most watched dvds in our house!!

GREAT 13!! Sorry I missed it on Thursday.

(BTW: I added you to my pooroll, I mean blogroll)

That Chick Over There said...

Three is a magic number!
Man and a woman,
Had a little baby!
And that makes three!
That makes three and a family and it's a magic number!



I probably got that totally wrong, but that's my memory of it.

In later years, I also loved Scooter Computer and Mr. Chips. My children can't believe it when I tell them that was WAY advanced when it first came out.

M said...

How did I miss this the other day? Google reader just informed me of this and I got all kinds of giddy. Even my young ass loved her some schoolhouse rock. WHY is such things not on Saturday mornings anymore? Oh, yeah, because Saturday morning cartoons don't mean shit anymore and kids have no time for fun little conjunction junction what's your function type rhymes and riddles.

I did NOT know there were dvd's of these things. do you KNOW how badly I want them now? GAAAAAAH!!!!