Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Thursday Thirteen #1 - The Inaugaral Edition


I've had a post in draft about Canada for some time. A post on Catwoman's blog got me to thinking I should finalize it and share my brilliance ideas with the world. Or at least with you all. I had also planned to start doing the Thursday Thirteen meme, so here they both are, rolled into one.



Thirteen reasons why I think Canada rocks.

1. Canadians rock the blogosphere. Have you checked out any of these Canadians who blog? There's Catwoman, Emma, Redneck Mommy, Kim, then you've got that whole bunch at Mommy Blogs Toronto. You can even get your freaky-deaky fix with Racy Red. I definitely look up to Canada, literally and figuratively, for blogging inspiration.

2. They have the good falls. Come on, you have been to Niagara Falls, right? Which side did you stay on? I'll bet the Canadian one. I mean the American and Bridal Veil falls are cool enough, but you went to see the Horseshoe Falls. Don't say you didn't. If you do, you lie. Don't lie to Blue Momma.


3.
The Falls in winter. For details, see #3, but imagine it with ice.


4.
Ice Road Truckers. Who the hell else has an ice road? Yes, a big long road across a frozen lake. To a diamond mine. Which they drive ginormous trucks across. And they have a tv show about it. When I finally run away from home I'm going to Canada to be an ice road trucker. No more sweating, humidity and frizzy hair for this chick!


5.
They make Easy Mac! As I unpacked my latest super size box of Easy Mac from Costco, I happened to notice the label on the bottom of the box.

The makers of Easy Mac should be acknowledged as the true leaders of the free world because what mom with a toddler could live without Easy Mac? Not that I ever dip into Punkin's stash. No way. Not I. What? No, that's not cheese on my chin....

6. William Shatner is Canadian. What would our world be like without Captain Kirk? How would we ever know how to boldly go where no one has gone before? Who would lead us there? And don't even get me started on The Trouble with Tribbles. Add to that that he tell us where we can get the lowest price on airline tickets and hotels. Oh, and Denny Crane. Denny Crane.



7. Hockey. Ok, so I'm not a big fan. Or a fan at all. But Canadians? They love their hockey. This seems to have crept across the border into Detroit, where we lived before moving back to Alabama. Now I hate waiting. For anything. But to eat? Hell no. Which is a problems since that's my favorite thing. But on a night the Red Wings play? You can get into any non-sports bar restaurant in town. With no wait. At all. And that? Rocks.


8.
Free healthcare. Our insurance went up in July. Not only did the cost per month go up, but they raised the freakin' copayment to $30!! Pretty soon it'll be cheaper to pay for an office visit than to pay the copay. But Canada? Free healthcare. For everyone. They look out for their own and not for the pharmaceutical companies and medical bigwigs. Of course, if hubby gets a job in medical sales I'll have to retract this one.

9. Nelvana. You're familiar with Nelvana, right? You can thank their cold, Canadian asses for The Backyardigans, The Berenstain Bears, Franklin, Max & Ruby, and Mrs. Spider. The list goes on beyond that, too. My favorite? Mrs. Spider. She rocks the Sunny Patch and sets a good example for us all. They are responsible for some of the best babysitters ever!


10. Trivial Pursuit . Yes. Those damn Canadians again. When I'm feeling low, unimportant, not so smart, I pull out the Trivial Pursuit game. And then? I. Kick. Ass. Then the world is mine! I'm smart, smart, smart ass, all is right with the universe and the ego gets the boost it needs. Where would us fonts of useless information be without Trivial Pursuit to showcase our genius? Jeopardy you say? Well, guess what? Alex Trebek is Canadian, too!


11.
The Doodlebops.
Don't try to deny the Doodlebops. They rule. And Moe Doodle? I don't care if you think I'm weird. He's mine. So back off!

12. Canadian Money. What is on the Canadian quarter? Some stuffy old dead Prime Minister? Why hell no. A caribou. And my Punkin will tell you - caribou rock! Then you've got the Canadian dollar coin. Do you know what it's called? It's called a Loonie. No, it's not in honor of our current president! Duh. It's named after a bird! And again, Punkin will tell you - that rocks! And their bills? Colored. So you don't even have to know how to count to use Canadian money. Wow.


13. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Ok, I know Spike isn't a real person. Not even a real make believe person. He's a vampire. And he's American in real life (and I really don't care about him in real life anyway) and English in character. But he's so freaking cool. And I love him. Much more than I love Moe Doodle. And so not in a sweet way. Bloody hell, Spike! You rock! And because of that I'm considering you a Canadian. At least for purposes of the Thursday Thirteen. And again. I love you. Really. You're on my list.












So that's my Thursday Thirteen. I hope you liked it. I'll be back next week if I don't totally get flamed over my 13.

And, to be honest, even if I do!

44 comments:

Malcolm: said...

Welcome to the TT. Man I wish that we had free healthcare in the States. William Shatner cracks me up. If you haven't seen it, you should check out the following clip of Shatner on the "$10,000 Pyramid".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-UyxR9g7xi4

Although the video quality is not very good, you can still get the gist of what's happening.

I wish I could take you on in Trivial Pursuit. Although I am not Canadian, I am the Tiger Woods of Trivial Pursuit!

Kimberly said...

I love you! That post totally and completely made my miserableness infested day so much brighter. I'm giving you some linky love for that!

And? If you think Loonies are cool, you oughta see the Toonies (Twonies?)!

Serina Hope said...

Well ther you go. Now I am a huge fan of Canada too. And it was mostly 13 that did it. I am not sure why, as it really had nothing to do with Canada, but I am won over nonetheless. Whenare we moving?

MissMeliss said...

I'm not Canadian, but I love Canada, and would totally move there if a) it was easier to do so, b) my husband's job would allow it (I work from home) and c) I wanted to live anyplace with winter - any place North of California is too cold for me.

Great list.
(I'd have to add Forever Knight, Tanya Huff, and a good portion of the comedians on television to your list)

so grateful to be Mormon! said...

hi blue momma:
thanks for stopping by again tonight. i enjoyed your list silly girl :)

and captain james t. kirk so rocks! i have enjoyed him forever. i love how he is not afraid to just make fun of himself. he seems like fun.

and the toonies are the neatest looking coin. i saved a couple of them from our road trip.

and you know i live in alaska, so i think the ice road trucker stuff is cool, too. and the parts i have seen of alaska and canada look sooo similiar to me. just beautiful country. the scenery takes my breath away.

nighty night,
kathleen :)

Goofy Girl said...

Canada sure is a great place. :) I liked Toronto a lot :)

I don't know anything about Nelvana, so thanks for sharing that!

Gattina said...

I have to believe with all you said, because I have never been in Canada, lol !

Amazing Gracie said...

I've never been to Canada either but you have listed some interesting things. I've always wanted to see Vancouver and the not-so-freezing to death parts of Canada (I know, Vancouver is in B.C.)...
Beautiful.

bermudabluez said...

Happy TT!! Your list ROCKS! And so does Canada!! I should BE from there....I love Niagara Falls and Toronto and Kingston and Vancouver and uh......just love the whole country!! Great Job!!

Xakara said...

Welcome to TT and you have effectively sold me on Canada. Yes, I was already pro-Canada, but you were still very convincing. *grin*

Trivial Pursuit, huh?

Happy TT

~X

Multi-tasking Mommy said...

Congrats on your very 1st Thursday Thirteen!
I used to do them, but decided that writing them wasn't for me.
You've done a great one :)
My daughter watched her first episode of the Doodlebops yesterday...she LOVED it! Great concept!

Secret Agent Mama said...

You hit many nails on their respective heads, eh! I'm (almost) Canadian, ya know. I grew up in Buffalo, NY -very close to the Canadian/Ft. Erie border.

You are right, you guys have the better falls.. And, aren't the Bare Naked Ladies from Canada? As well as Alanis Morisette?

Special K ~Toni said...

You made some very good points. but I'll stay here in the USA! Happy T13!

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

I went to Toronto for a school thing. we DID get to go to Niagara, In the WINTER!!! It was awesome, chunks of ice going over the falls. I feel so lucky for the experience!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

I've actually not been to the falls. I think Spike can be added in if you like him. Great first Thurs 13. I haven't put mine up yet, but it will be soon.

Luisa Perkins said...

Holy crap! I didn't know that Spike is Canadian!

This post is awesome. I wrote a post about my love of Canada recently, too. Can't. Get. Enough.

Visiting you by way of Kim, BTW.

WorksForMom said...

Seriously. You had me at EASY MAC!! Great list.

MamaLee said...

Well, I DO like Canada. My best friend is Canadian. but I still like being an American! So THERE! lol


Happy TT!

andi said...

What a fabulous list. I'm Canadian and I didn't even know about some of these things - I've never seen an ice trucker, for example. And even though the Doodlebops are the bane of my existence, they have provided me with the sweet, sweet elixir of free-time so I forgive them their sins (plus, I LOVE Miss Spider too!)

Awhile back, I did a post about my Canadian secrets. Feel free to check it out - http://pootandcubby.wordpress.com/
2007/03/28/my-deep-dark-canadian-secrets/

Believer in Balance said...

Even more reasons to love Canada! Their Falls is definitely better.

MInTheGap said...

"Free Health Care" is quite the misnomer-- as the taxes are higher and everyone pays for less quality, but I digress.

Interesting bits of facts about Canada and a great TT!

Mine's Up!

nikki said...

The Doodlebops hands scare me.

And you are correct. Don's mess with us Detroiters when the Red Wings are one. Them be fightin' times.

ChrisB said...

I was in Toronto on holiday, staying with a friend, back in June this year. We spent 3 nights at the falls, I so want to see more of Canada but don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to return.

April Elizabeth said...

you could have had a thursday 2 about candana, #6 and #13 - or even a thursday 1 #13. God I love Spike.

Catwoman said...

You make my heart swell. A whole post about my homeland. Swoon...

Although, you left a number of things off, like the fact that ever funny person is from Canada (Mike Myers, Jim Carey and so on), and I'll pretend you didn't use this list as another opportunity to advertise your love of Spike.

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

So funny! I've been composing a "why I love Canada" post in my head for weeks!

Canadians seems so...smart! So many of my favorite bloggers are Canadian. And the healthcare, omg, the healthcare.

Canada rocks!

yellowdog granny said...

ohh, you missed one of my favorite canadian bloggers..ol lady...she's terrific..and there is one that does a commentary about customers at walmart..behind the counter..or over the counter..?...very funny...
you had me right up until hockey...i like to watch the hockey playoffs..but prefer my american football more....but yes...we americans do love canadians..you have the best commedians in the world...jim carey.martin short...plus..paul shaffer...

LuvSchweetheart said...

Today is my first T13 also :)
I have to agree with everything on your list and me being from canada has nothing to do with that. ;)

Damozel said...

I really love Spike too. I kind of miss him. I love it that because you love him, you think of him as Canadian.....I was trying to work out which "Doodlebop" hee hee hee is "Moe." I'm guessing (since you love Spike) the bad boy one with red hair.

Aline de Chevigny said...

ROLF, Loved you TT.
I am canadian and you forgot Bob and Doug Mackenzie LOL they sooo rock

Oh and the Ice Road Truckers... I work at one of the mines they drive out to LOL. They are a seriously cool bunch.

Aline

Jennifer said...

Doodlebops scare the hell out of me! I think they might make more sense were I to free base Elmer's Glue before watching them.

SwampAngel65 said...

Spike?!!?! I LOVE Spike, too! I thought I was the only one. You rock, Blue Momma! Canaduans ri=ock, too! I can say this since I have beaucoup Canadian relatives :)

her indoors said...

you Canadians sure do rock, hope to visit Canada soon, you sure make me feel like i should, great post

Nicholas said...

I lived in Canada for 5 years and I love the place!

My2Suns said...

I've been saying for the last 10 years that I want to move to canada! And I might have to fight you for Moe! : )

Jendi said...

I had noticed that Canada has some great bloggers.

Welcome to TT!

Mom Chatter said...

Great list... I'm all for the Canadians, too! :) I love that you used that word "ginormous" again! Maybe one day I'll jump on this TT wagon...

Veggie Mama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veggie Mama said...

Oh. Oh, oh, how I love Spike. I love and adore and, well, have inappropriate thoughts about Spike. <333 I may have to start watching Buffy reruns again in the mornings now. Thanks a lot. :)

Christine said...

Welcome to the TT!
Fun list, I was a huge Spike fan!

And how I wish we had FREE healthcare. It blows my mind to think of pharmaceutical companies making billions of dollars, and that health care is a luxury here in the US.

Happy Thursday!

Emma in Canada said...

I have to disagree with minthegap on the lesser quality of Canadian healthcare, I'm pretty happy with the quality myself, even if we do have a slightly longer waiting list for non essentials. Which I might decide to complain about when I'm 50 and my knees can't handle my fat ass any longer.

Anyhoo, great post...but, really, William Shatner as your Canadian celebrity? I once decided I would only shows that had a Canadian in them, thinking I could cut back on my TV viewing, and did you know almost every show has a Canadian in it? At leat all the ones I like do.

angel said...

cool meme! i think i'll play along next week!

elena jane said...

lol @ mo doodle....
isn't keanu reeves from canada?? ;)

cate said...

oh man! as a canadian, this post made me laugh my ass off! thanks!