Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

My Sad Life Without My Laptop


Yesterday morning I noticed my battery was running low on my laptop so I plugged in. A few minutes later I had even less battery life left. The battery wasn't charging.

After cursing my motherboard and my only-four-months-old laptop for crapping out on me, I found the culprit. It was my damn rocker recliner! A pox on La-Z-Boy!

So I've pinched my power cord in half. On a Saturday. Before a holiday. AAArrrrggggghhh! Someone with an internet addiction such as mine cannot cope with a minimum of three and God only knows how many more days without access to websites and blogs and email and....Ok, Blue Momma, calm down! Deep breaths......

Best Buy had nothing to help me out. I was gonna look on EBay, but that was a little difficult with no power.

Then I remembered the good old Compaq desktop computer in the basement. Which runs on Windows 98. Thankfully the little mouse on a treadmill that powers it was still alive and after feeding him a piece of pepperjack and an hour spent on the phone with India or Pakistan or Turkey or some godforsaken place to get my modem working again, here I am!!!

It really doesn't want me to see my blog. After loading the page for about five minutes, it decided my third column should begin somewhere towards the end of my last post. And you guys with loads of widgets and blog bling in your sidebars? I'll just have to catch you when the new power cord shows up.

And Punkin'? At my mother's house until Monday. I was looking forward to a weekend of guilt free blogging, what with no child to neglect. Hubby can fend for himself.

But it did make me realize what a big part of my life this online world has become. I was waaay more freaked out over this than I should have been. I felt like my community had been ripped away from me! Waaaaaaahhhhh. I really need to find a 12 step program for internet/blogging addiction.

Or buy an extra power cord.

21 comments:

Jo Beaufoix said...

Blue Mamma I really undrestand this.
About a month ago my blog exploded, or rather dreamhost pulled the plug as it seems the blog group I'm in was growing too much. Gits.

So I was without a proper blog for nearly 3 weeks.

It was hell.

I carried on blogging at Virb and was able to copy them over to my new healthy blog, but it was all so traumatic.
I need this blog.

I love it.

Scary isn't it??

Emma in Canada said...

In regards to your email and my crappy Windows 98 computer cause I am a loser...I didn't even know you had a right sidebar!

However right now I'm at work (Windows XP or Vista or something) and it is still at the bottom.

Now I have to go make a profile at that moms ranking site. Damn you for pointing out your right hand sidebar and making me spend even more time on the computer!

nikki said...

Don't fight the addiction! Just buy an extra power cord and never blog in the lazt boy chair again!

Kellie said...

Yeah, um....I TOTALLY get your feelings of helplessness, despair and "What am I going to DO?!" when it comes to being without internet access.

Our laptop is slooooooowly crapping out on me. I'm praying it can hang in there another few days until the oh so beautiful new computer arrives.

Buy TWO extra power cords. Just in case it happens again. Better to be safe, right?

:)

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

Been there. Hubby told me this is my last power cord. Somehow I have this insane ability to destroy them. This is number 5..after I destroyed the one on my Mac and stole his laptop..and then broke one on it, too.

Isn't it sad how dependent we are on all things electric. The power went out for about four hours last month. Hubby went bananas in the worst way. I'm saying, "Peege, hon, we can be romantic & have a candlelit bubble bath & just chat." His response, "All these candles stink." Lovely, huh?

ChrisB said...

I hate it when my broadband provider has problems and I can't get on line and this has happened a few times recently so I know just how you felt.

Not Afraid to Use It said...

When we moved and our new internet company told us it was going to be a week before they could turn our internet on I couldn't stop crying. Part of that could have been the pregnancy hormones, but mostly lack-of-internet rage.

Then I realized the ski bums next to us hadn't locked down their wireless. We, um, borrowed off of them for a while. You should have seen the contorted positions it took to get THAT to work. But my addiction was fed, and all was right with the world.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

I'm so addicted to all things e-mail and Internet, I become sincerely confused when I chat with people who don't use it frequently.

Honestly, genuinely confused.

Mommapeas said...

Relax darling. All will return to normal soon!

buddha_girl said...

Too damn funny! I'm like you...I tried to download some pics from my camera last night so I COULD blog and freaked the fuck out when nothing was working. No power.

Buddha had surrepticiously unplugged EVERY cord in my home office.

*grumbling*

So...let us know when you're back in REAL business with the new cord. Those comuter Nazis will charge ya an arm and a leg for such things!

Willowtree said...

Geeeez! All you need is a pair of scissors and some insulation tape, hell duct tape will even work!

Blue Momma said...

I tried, believe me! Didn't work. Hubby accused me of trying to burn the house down. I tried again. Still didn't work.

Jennifer aka Binky Bitch said...

Oh, I do sympathize! It's a very deep seeded addiction for me, as well!

Catwoman said...

It's not a habit, it's cool, I feel alive, if you don't have it, you're on the other side, I'm not an addict, baby, that's a lie...

The way I look at it? If I spent this much time drinking? My liver would already be shot. It's a much healthier habit, so how can it REALLY be bad?

Serina Hope said...

Haha. I was at my Mama's this weekend with no internet and I felt the same way. I was lost and confused. I feel your pain.

lisa's chaos said...

Last summer my step-daughter brought her puppy for her summer visit - the puppy chewed my cord. Thankfully Dell had 2 new ones in my hands in 2 days. :) I feel for you.

yellowdog granny said...

my computer is fixing to crash..and cant get it fixed till i get a windows xp and waiting on it..sigh*..sucks

Kimberly said...

Noooooooo!

What a horrible ordeal. You poor, poor thing! (I had to toss that in there in case your hubby's not the sympathetic type)

I don't feel bad about being super hooked. 'Cause I don't have much of a life outside my little bloggy world. I really ought to do something about that someday.

nell said...

Oh, you poor poor thing. I hope it wasn't too awful.

Rachel said...

I totally understand! Right now, we don't have the internet at home. Some crap with the router or whatever. so, I only get access at work!

terri said...

You really don't want to join a 12-step program, unless you want to stop. You don't want to stop, do you? I know I don't. And besides, if I did, I could stop anytime I wanted. I don't need it. I just enjoy it. It relaxes me. I'm not addicted. No really!