Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


This weeks hostess for Fun Monday is Lisa from The Food Snob. Our mission for this week:
I want to see your favorite recipe, be it either because your grandmother wrote it, it's the easiest thing you can slap together that everyone likes, it makes you feel healthy, it's cheap, etc. You don't have to make it (although you could if you want) but let us see the index card, cookbook, printed paper from the web, and why it's a favorite in your house. If you have a lot, just pick one, I know I'll have to!
Let me start by saying that I love to cook. I love cookbooks
and I love trying new recipes. Yet I have to admit that having a three year old has put a damper on my experimentation - and often on cooking much at all other than Hamburger Helper and mac & cheese.

So my recipe is for the Moms out there or for those of you short on time, but who would like something flavorful, yet also quick and easy. I adapted this recipe from this cookbook
and I hope you like it. It is one of our favorites!

Without further adieu, here it is

Szechuan Barbecue Chicken

1 Bottle Kraft Thick and Spicy Honey BBQ sauce
1/2 cup (overflowing) honey
1/3 cup (overflowing) soy sauce
1 t. red pepper flakes, or to taste
2 boneless chicken breasts
cooked rice, as much as you'd like

The recipe originally called for snow peas and carrots,
but since I hate abhor despise don't care for vegetables, I've left them out. You feel free to add them in as you'd like. It was also originally made with pork, but since this chick likes chicken, chicken is what you get!

First, gather your ingredients.

Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.

I like to use my kitchen shears. My MIL gave me the first pair of kitchen shears I ever owned. I still can't believe she gave me something so useful! They've been replaced by these, which come apart for cleaning. If you don't have a pair, buy. them. now! One more time, and loud : I. LOVE. KITCHEN SHEARS!
Cut off any fat that is visible, because, oooh, who wants more fat? This chick has enough of her own without help from a chicken tit boob breast.

Put the chicken into a deep skillet or saute pan and stir fry. If you want to use oil you can, but my pans are non-stick so I don't.
Give your chicken a stir every once in while so it doesn't get all stuck together like mine . When the chicken is just about done, drain fat the fat from the pan. I usually don t have much and just use a paper towel to get it up.
Add the BBQ sauce
soy sauce

and the honey.
Add as much red pepper as you think you can handle.
We have to skimp on it a bit since Punkin started eating table food, but we are slowly trying to up his love of the heat!

Stir together well and simmer over low to medium heat
until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.
Serve over cooked rice. It would be a little crunchy for my taste if the rice wasn't cooked.This is one of our favorite recipes, both because it tastes great and it is easy enough for a husband to prepare! Of course that seldom happens, but he could do it if he tried.

Now go on over and visit Lisa and check out the other Fun Monday participants. See ya next week!

41 comments:

terri said...

I'm copying this one down. It looks awesome and so like something my family would eat, even with the evil veggies.

mjd said...

My mother loved cookbooks too, and she loved to cook. She would have loved your Szechaun Barbecue Chicken. I will have to go light with the red pepper flakes, and I will include the snow peas and carrots.

Serina Hope said...

This looks awesome. I can't wait to try it out! I may even do this tomorrow night. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Kimberly said...

Ooo...that looks so yummy!

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Ha! To get my Chinese fix for the day I attempted to make Mongolian Beef last week. I didn't have any hoisin sauce but went for it anyway. All was well as I was cooking it--until I read the little "nutrition box" on the side of the recipe. Yeah. Um...ONE serving of this dish was 98% of your TOTAL DAILY SODIUM allowance. Let's just say that we both had a major headache for about 36 hours thereafter. LOL

Willowtree said...

This one works for me, I'm not too fond of veggies either. Nice to see you could rescue the book recipe and turn it into something pretty darn good. Think I might make this one.

Joy T. said...

I'm copying this one down too. Oh man there are so many great recipes for Fun Monday!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

I love the play-by-play, BM. Sounds good. My 31 year old toddler may enjoy this one. Thanks for sharing. Looks delicious.

Kellie said...

Looks really good....somewhat easy for morons like me that WANT to cook, but don't think they CAN cook.

I need a cooking mentor :)

theotherbear said...

Looks great, I would add veggies too. Yum.

Can Doo said...

You should be on the Food Network girl. That was very detailed, with the pics and all. This recipe really looks yummy. I may have to try it on my peeps. The only problem is that they are so picky and hubby doesn't really like Chinese inspired foods. I might sneak it in our menu though.

Sayre said...

Mmmm! I think I'd add broccoli and/or cauliflower. This sounds really good!

Lisa said...

I really need to start printing some of these Fun Monday recipes! That looks great for a quick meal.
Thanks for posting!

SwampAngel65 said...

Oh, YUM!!!! I want to make this tonight. And I agree, about cooking the rice ;) Maybe if one wants a little crunch,instead of not cooking the rice, one could add some crushed peanuts.

9:50 am and I'm already hungry for dinner...thanks alot!

nikki said...

I'm totally going to have to try this recipe. Yumm, my stomach won't shut up now.

Kaytabug said...

OH WOW! That looks scrumptious!!! I can not wait to try it...I might serve the carrots as a side! oh oh or with egg rolls!!! I am officially hungry now and I made sure to eat b4 sitting down to read today's FM's!!!Thank you for sharing!!!

M said...

Serve over cooked rice. Uncooked would be crunchy? Made me giggle my soda into my throat. You rule.

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

it looks yummy but i dont keep honey around because i dont like the taste. would molasses or something else work? and i posted back to your post on Robinella's site about the no cook noodles lasagna. it DOES work. just follow the recipe like it says. cooked perfectly. ;-)

Amy W said...

This is one my husband will love as he is like you, no veggies....

susan said...

I'm with you in the kitchen shears lurve! They rank right up there with the can opener!

Catwoman said...

You want to hear how much of a moron I am?

In the picture with the veggies, I thought there was a cut up finger in the dish! And I thought "I must email Blue Momma and tell her that her recipe book shows a cut up finger!" Because I thought you'd find it as hysterical as I do.

And then when I was done laughing really really hard, wiped the tears off my face and looked again, I realized that was your finger pointing at the veggies.

I swear I don't drink at work.

Robinella said...

That looks like something even I can make! And yummy to boot. I think you might come in second to my Mom and her cookbook collection - a VERY CLOSE second. :-)

yellowdog granny said...

I would have to use brown rice and very little of it as I am diabetic..but it's a good recipe..I like hot food of any type..
although i have been eating so much chicken, salmon, various other types of fish, turkey(ground and otherwise) and salads I could barf...so every now and then i just go get a huge nemecek's steak about 2 inches thick and grill it for about 3 minutes and eat it right off the grill...sigh*

WorksForMom said...

May I add your photo looked EVEN BETTER than the cookbook photo! Yum-o.

Tootsie said...

I've just put the BBQ sauce and honey on my grocery list. Sounds great for a last minute what-am-i-going-to-do-to-the-chicken-tonight dish!

My2Suns said...

Looks yummy! I have to give this a try I bet the boys will like it

swamp witchq said...

I'm with Catwoman...the finger. I thought you were messin' wid us.
Love the recipe. I'll probably use the veggies.

jennifer said...

Now if someone would just cook it for me so I don't have to leave the computer!!

buddha_girl said...

Holy crap! That's the easiest recipe I've ever seen. I'm in shock! This is something Buddha will LOVE!

Serina Hope said...

I just made this and it was awesome. I added carrots and baby corn (although Randy picked it out, as he is a non veggie eater). It was a little spicy for the kids. I only used the 1 tsp. of pepper, but apparently that was too much for them. Randy and I loved it though. Thanks you so much for telling us about this.

gawilli said...

This sounds like it would be really quick and easy for us. We love rice and something sweet and spicy would be nice for a change!

Serina Hope said...

I put up a happy for you in honor of you providing this great recipe.

Pamela said...

I am so totally going to make this recipe WITH THE SNOW PEAS AND CARROTS

,,, this looks just double yum

Robin said...

Veggies, no veggies, I'd take this either way!

I used to collect cookbooks, but I don't even have most of them out anymore; several, I've just given away. NOW, I rely more on friends, magazines and the net it seems for recipes. Oooo, and the Food Network! I've cooked several things from "30 Minute Meals" and they've all been good.

This recipe here looks like something even my kids would like (a great feat :/)...

And DITTO to kitchen shears!! Do you cut pizza with yours? I use mine for tons of FOOD-relating cutting (I've dared my kids to use 'em on paper!!!).

CakeHead said...

Ooh, this looks really yummy, but I think I'll add the veggies back in, though in most cases I abhor them, too. Stir-Fry type veggies I can deal with (unless it calls for brocolli, then I'm out).

CakeHead said...

Ooh, this looks really yummy, but I think I'll add the veggies back in, though in most cases I abhor them, too. Stir-Fry type veggies I can deal with (unless it calls for brocolli, then I'm out).

my4kids said...

Ooh that looks and sounds really good! Also my family likes anything with barbque sauce in it.

ChrisB said...

Your photos have me drooling as it's around lunch time here. I love my veggies so I will add snow peas and carrots when I have a go at making this. I had to google snow peas (to confirm they are what we call sugar snaps).

Queeny said...

Anything that comes in a box. My hubs does the fancy cooking at our place.

Debs said...

This looks so yummy. I am copying it down now! Robocop will scarf this one down I am sure. :)

Serina Hope said...

I made this again tonight. I always need new foods to crave... lol...I want to thank you so much for this addition to my repitoire.