Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


If you're here looking for the post about my Grandmother, it is here, below this one. And thanks!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Sayre at SayreSmiles is our host for Fun Monday this week. Her challenge to us is:
Brush off your interview skills. Talk to everyone who lives in your house. I want to know what their, and your, favorite piece of art is in your home. Photographs do not count. If there was a fire in your home, everyone would grab photographs, but what is the non-photographic piece of art you would grab on your way out - and why? (Edit: These don't have to be paintings - these can be wall hangings, statues, lumps of clay by your child, anything that is artistic expression of some kind EXCEPT photographs.)
Ok, I have to be honest. We don't have any "real" art around here. We aren't very artsy to begin with and due to time - and now money!- constraints the walls are currently pretty bare! I do have a few things which I like, though, and I'll share those with you today.

As far as saving something from a fire, this is probably the only piece of art I'd save:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We had this made when Punkin' was 11 weeks old. The Patty-Cakes people come out to your house, do the impressions, and then the art comes in the mail. What a great package to receive. Besides, I love mail. Just look at the little hands and feet! It's just hard to believe those belong to the kid I have today!

This one hangs above the mantle in our living room. It is my favorite cross stitch project. Excuse the side view, but I've yet to figure out how to get a straight-on photo without a flash and my reflection marring it!
I said the Patty-Cakes was the only art I'd save but I'd probably save the cross stitch, too! It is Renoir's On the Terrace in case you were wondering.

This is also in our living room. I just loved the rabbits when I bought this and I still love them today. Hubby says we can't have rabbits, though, so I'll have to settle for the painting.


Close up of the rabbits - don't you just want to pet them, or give them a carrot or something?

This is hanging in our kitchen. Are you sensing an animal theme around our house? Punkin' isn't the only one who's animal crazy I guess! Everyone always asks if these are our cats. I'm afraid I can barely draw a stick man, much less sketch these beautiful cats!

Ok, thats about it I guess. Go over to SayreSmiles and check out the rest of the Fun Monday participants and enjoy!!! And while you're here, please read my prior post about my Granny and let your positive thoughts flow our way. Thanks everyone for stopping by!

31 comments:

Queeny said...

I can't think of a single item that I'd save besides family photos. All of our "art" is of the Wal-Mart and Dollar Store variety, except for some Garden Ridge pieces that cost only slightly more. But honestly, no sentimental value in those.

nikki said...

I love the piece of Punkin's little hand and foot. How sweet. The cat sketches are lovely too.

lisa's chaos said...

Oh I love the display of foot, hand and child! Very cool!

And I wanna pet the bunnies.

Catwoman said...

Oh how jealous I am of the handprint footprint thing. That is BEAUTIFUL! I've never seen anything like it that's so ornate! I want one!!!! :( Why don't we have something like that in Dallas, sob.

And if we do, why didn't I know about it when Little Man was, well, little?

Debs said...

That is cross stitched!?!! WOW!! I hope to become brave enough to someday stitch something like that. :)

Karmyn R said...

I love those kitty prints. They are great.

Violet said...

Do you suppose I can bribe you to come to my house and hang my pictures/art? I can't hang anything straight to save my life (or even CLOSE to straight!) and I'm afraid of our plaster walls. :)

Kimberly said...

Gorgeous! The lot of it...and especially the Punkin inspired piece. =)

Beccy said...

I love your hand and foot prints, very precious.

alisonwonderland said...

i'm so impressed with the Renoir cross-stitch. it looks gorgeous (at least from the side)! :o)

Sayre said...

And you said you didn't have any art!!!! All of those things qualify - all it has to be is a creative expression that you love. The Patty Cakes thing is wonderful! And I have a serious weakness for anything animal.

SwampAngel65 said...

Precious, just precious...the hand and foot prints, the kittens, the rabbits... love 'em all!

Robin said...

Yeah, I'd take what you'd take--that's the nicest version of hand, foot and baby I've ever seen. We just have our children's impressions on construction paper in a box somewhere. Still, I should find them and frame them :/.

Tiggerlane said...

I am feeling like SUCH a rotten mom for not choosing my kid's handprint in plaster! I love the cat drawings (and I'm NOT a cat person) - at first, I thought they were photographs!

AnGlOpHiLe FoOtBaLl FaNaTiC said...

I think your hand, foot, Punkin makes mine look shameful. Wanna trade?

swampy said...

OK, so your rabbit is much more of a piece of art than my rabbit. What can I say? Junior and Bubba designed my rabbit.
Love the prints. What a treasure.

dawn said...

I love the hand and foot print one; it has such a great finish and the wall colour is awesome too. I had a bit of a glare problem too. I didn't put in any cross stitch items. We don't have bunny art, but we do have two bunnies (Snickers and Skittles). We have three cats, now if I could just get my kids to do portraits of them.

melissa said...

Oh yes ... I'd save all those things too, they're lovely! But that hand and footprint is just too precious!

mjd said...

The Punkin' memorabilia and the distinctive cat picures are definitely keepers.

my minivan is faster than yours said...

I just told our favorite anglophile football fanatic friend that I didn't know you because I didn't want her to think I was cheating on her. Shhh...

Happy birthday!

susan said...

What an amazing momento of babyhood. The closest I have is an ink stamping of each of my girls' feet...only I don't know which is which!

Lil Mouse (Jill) said...

LOVE the BUNNIES. I petted one on the screen. yes, i know. so what! ;-)

buddha_girl said...

You are one cross stitching whore. Holy moly!

The hand and foot of Punkin made my throat close with joy. I was sniffling. For real.

I have a great print I bought on my honeymoon that's hung in my dining room. I think I'd definitely snag that sucker.

buddha_girl said...

PS
Your grandma has a surprise on its way to see Alabama! I can't wait for her to get it! Neither can Buddha!

Pamela said...

That would be a great baby shower gift... a certificate for that patty cakes

makes you start thinking about what can be replaced... and what can never

Serina Hope said...

Your stuff is lovely. All of it. I even love your wall colors. :)

Jen M. said...

I have zero real art - but I would save the photo of me pregnant with number four (after saving all the people, of course)

Mom Chatter said...

You picked some great artwork to save! Love the baby foot/hand prints! I'm a sucker for baby feet... sad to see that The Girl's feet keep get bigger! :)

Not Afraid to Use It said...

You've got some really cool stuff! Makes me even more ashamed of our college dorm-style decorating. One day we will be in a permanent home and get down to really having things look nice.

Hell, maybe that will be our goal for the week. Buy or create art for our house...

Kaytabug said...

OH I Love the 11week old memento! Tiggerlane said she felt like such a rotten mom for not choosing the hand print in plaster but I feel like a BIG POS for not doing a clay/plaster hand/foot of any of my babies when they were babies!!!!
I really like the kitty sketches too!!

angel said...

i have no real art in my house either... i have lots of dragons in my house and i adore them all, and i love my lava-lamp... and there's stuff damien did in preschool that i would absolutely save...