Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday


Ok, dear readers, it's Fun Monday once again. Our hostess with the mostess, Lisa, has issued the following challenge for this week's Fun Monday:
    I’d like to know more about you, what makes you tick. I’d like to know how you started blogging. Did you keep a diary under lock and key safely hidden as a child? Do you still? Do you share the same things on your blog that you would have, or do, in your diary? Why did you start blogging and why do you continue? May as well throw in any roadblocks you have run into while blogging. If you still have your old diaries we’d love to see them.
I actually haven't been blogging for very long. In passing I would hear blogs mentioned on tv or on websites I visited, but I honestly didn't have a clue what a blog was. And just look what I was missing! Anyway, I joined a local Moms group - the best damn Moms group evah! - and while reading the member profiles discovered that our fearless leader had a blog. Well, as would happen with any addict, one drug blog led to another led to another led to another and I was hooked.

I started my first blog on MySpace, but pretty quickly moved up to blogger. If you were to peruse my archives and see some posts with pretty ugly formatting, those are the ones I copied over from MySpace. I don't think the three readers I had really minded me moving and I think two of them followed me here. But, as I said earlier, the blogging bug had bitten me and I had it bad.

I guess I started my blog as a way to express my feeling and experiences. How original, huh? But with hubby working all of the time and most of my friends still working full time, I found myself with a lack of adult conversation. The blog was a way of at least having a one sided relationship with someone over the age of two.

And it has turned into such a great conversation. Through this blog I've been able to communicate with people from all over the world. And though I may be being a bit presumptuous, I'd like to think I could even call a lot of you my friends. This world of bloggers really is a community and I'm so glad to be privileged to be a part of it.

I love being able to share the cute things my Punkin' says and does with people who will appreciate them - or at the very least silently tolerate hearing them! I love that you all put yourselves out there in your blogs and share your lives with me.

I think a lot of us feel a freedom on our blogs that we don't necessarily have in our everyday lives. My readers can't hang up on me or boycott Thanksgiving dinner because I piss them off. I can say what I think without looks or words of disapproval, disappointment or judgement. And if I get any of the above from you, why I can just delete your comments! (Though I've never had to delete a comment and it would have to be pretty damn bad before I did so).

I also certainly don't belittle the fact that I can also say shit or fuck or damn any time I want and no one gasps or covers their ears or suggests I come to Sunday school with them.

Family, coworkers, neighbors, friends - to some extent they have to listen. You guys are here, taking time out of your day, to spend a moment with me without any motivation other than you want to. I think that is so great and I truly appreciate it. I've discovered that that affirmation is something I want. I also want you all to move next door and ask me to borrow a cup of sugar or let your dog poop in my yard or turn your music up too loud - all of the things real neighbors do.

Because that's what you are. My bloggy neighbors, near and far. Thanks for letting me share a bit of your lives and for sharing a part of mine. My husband also thanks you for allowing me to vent a little steam somewhere other than towards him. I love all my bloggy friends - keep writing and I'll keep reading. And I'll be here, too, posting the exciting, the mundane, the funny, the silly, the boring - posting my life. ~smack~

Oh, damn. I always forget this part. I couldn't make it without the edit feature on this blog! Anyway, Nikki at "My Husband Calls Me Weird" is the next Fun Monday host - but we're skipping a week due to the Labor Day holiday. Visit her blog to accept the lastest Fun Monday challenge. Come on. I dare you.

21 comments:

her indoors said...

you started on my space, thats scary, dont know why but my space frightend me!
congrats on the 'Nice' award to.
happy fun monday

Willowtree said...

Do not presume to call me a friend! (just kidding, it's the community aspect that keeps me blogging, otherwise I'd just read online newspapers).

I had a myspace profile because it was the only way I could see the photos my niece was posting, but it's just too young for me. And I can't delete it either Hmph!

ChrisB said...

I've never looked at 'myspace' but we read some pretty scary things about it in the press. I have come to appreciate the supportive community that blogging provides. I can be sure that everyday someone has great photos or a story to share- what could be better :)

Debs said...

Great Fun Monday Post. :) Blog neighbors...that is the perfect way to describe it!

Fianna said...

I love your post!

You have said much of what I feel in a much more eloquent manner!

I love the community as well. I find it fascinating that people across the world can go to my page and find out what I am up to. What I am thinking on any given day.

My next step is, I would love to meet some of the folks I have "befriended" through this.

lisa's chaos said...

Aw, I feel friends too. :) I promise I'll never let my dog poop in your yard though. :)

Beccy said...

I love your post, it's so well written, for me the line "Family, coworkers, neighbors, friends - to some extent they have to listen. You guys are here, taking time out of your day, to spend a moment with me without any motivation other than you want to" sums up up how I feel about blogging.

Tiggerlane said...

My husband's pet peeve is the next door neigbor's dog pooping in our yard - so we won't be doing that!

Blogging buddies are the best - one of the reasons I keep doing this!

Stephanie said...

Heh-Haaayyy!! I'm glad you blog!!

And blogging friends are awesome! I, too, love the freedom of the medium, although I wish I had just a tad more, if ya know what I mean!

Rachel said...

I totally agree! The people I've "met" since I started blogging I consider my friends. I don't have a dog, so I could move next door and there would only be baby poop!

Karmyn R said...

That's right - blogging gives us great conversation!

Karina said...

I agree that knowing people are reading your blog and listening to your babble (meaning my babble, not your babble...uh..yeah...you know what I mean, right?), because they WANT to, is a great feeling.

Great post!!!

susan said...

The blogging community is awesome. And you are right, you can say anything you want on your own blog. If someone doesn't like it, they can just leave. Or more, fun they can comment and you can delete them or better yet, make fun of them. Not that I've had to do that...my entire family reads the blog so I still have to be careful...

Not Afraid to Use It said...

Congrats on the award!! What a great way to start the week! Esp. after such a chaotic weekend! WooHoo!!

Pamela said...

You covered the basics so well. So many of us started just to let off steam. And... fortunately kept right on steaming - with wonderful stories, great photos, cute kid stuff, and only an occasionaly gasp... which no one ever knows about (:

mjd said...

I love your blog Blue Momma. Your fish jumping out of those beautiful blue fish bowls make me smile.You make a wonderful observation that we choose to read about each other. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

theotherbear said...

There's nothing better than realising the people reading CHOOSE to read.
I promise not to poo in your yard too.

Jenni said...

That freedom is another reason I blog. I often feel I don't get to say everything I want to IRL. My blog is my spot to say what I want and get it all out there. If nobody reads it, at least I didn't get interrupted. That freedom is also what makes me nervous when the "real people" drop in. Oh well, if it offends them too terribly, they don't have to continue reading. Or they can hold it against me forEVER. Either way.

Robocop said...

A salute from one blogging newbie to another.

Dx said...

I THOUGHT
You'd been blogging forever.
You'd gone to University to find out how to do all that crazy stuff with your blog.
You were totally against expressing your feelings.
You didn't really want to make foreign friends.
Punkin' was you husband's nickname.
You deleted everyone's comments who didn't agree with you.
You never used swear words.
You were paying us to be motivated to visit you.

Just shows how wrong I am - again.
BLOG ON!

justmylife said...

You summed up why I blog. I have found several new "friends" blogging. I'm glad I got started, my hubby is glad I vent to others too. I visit you everyday that I can, I really enjoy my daily "visit". Keep us laughing.