Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Fun Monday (Well, Kind of ....)


The host of this week's Fun Monday is Uncaringbear and she asks this of us:

Share with us a little white lie that you may, or may not, have gotten away with. Perhaps it's something more sinister than a little white lie - maybe even a deep dark secret that you've kept buried for years! All the better! Now's your chance to get it off your chest and confess: "Yes, I did eat that last slice of cheese cake", "No, I wasn't washing my hair that Saturday", "Those pants do make you look fat"!

When I was growing up, our family had one of those standard, freezer on top refrigerators. Kind of like this

Notice the egg thingie in the door. Ours was never more than about half full. That damn thing must have held two cartons of eggs. Our fridge was also never quite that full. Anyway, Mother always kept a jug of water in there, as we didn't buy cokes at the time (they still came in those little glass bottles!), Kool-Aide would just wind up on the carpet and bottled water was only a distant dream.

I was a kid, we lived in the country and I was always bored. Always looking for any way to entertain myself. No matter how much of a little shit it made me. So I took to pouring water from the water jug into the egg thingies which were empty. Sometimes this was only a few and sometimes I got to fill them all. If you opened the door too fast you and/or the floor might end up soaked.

My Mother never could figure out what was going on. And I did this for years. Up until the time the old fridge died and was replaced by one without an egg tray. Just a few years ago I mentioned that old fridge and it's "problem" to my Mother. She said, yeah, she never could figure out what was wrong with it.

I laughed (and laughed and laughed) and told her what I had been up to and she was not pleased. Couldn't believe I could keep that up for something like ten years and not give it up. Her child!!!! It was quite funny - to me anyway - but it may be one of those things you just have to be there for. She still brings it up occasionally and I still laugh and she gets as pissed as her proper Baptist self can get. I sure hope my son has a little more mercy for me than I ever had for my Mother.

Anyway, this was the least lame thing (that's a hard one to believe isn't it!!) I could come up with for my inaugural Fun Monday. I've got to go clean my wreck of a house as I'm hosting our book club here tonight and would only like to be mildly embarrassed by the state of my house.

Of course after this lame post I guess I shouldn't be embarrassed at a little clutter.....

22 comments:

Kellie said...

That? Too funny. Also? Totally something I'd have done. Aww, hell...who am I kidding. It's something I'd do NOW :)

Lil Mouse said...

aha ha aha ha ha ha ha

Amy W said...

Pretty funny!

ohio blue eyes said...

you WERE a little shit! but an awesome one at that!

Kimberly said...

I am laughing out loud! The nerve of you!

Catwoman said...

Hysterical! And that you kept it going 10 YEARS? Holy crap, girl! Remind me never to piss YOU off!

mjd said...

Welcome to Fun Monday, Blue Momma, I love the blueness of your blog. You certainly were consistent with your misdeed. My youngest son like to play those kind of tricks on his brother, but he would only do his skullduggery once or twice.

Karmyn R said...

HA HA HA HA!!! That is a good one - I bet you drove your mother crazy with that. too funny.

her indoors said...

that is good, all those years you kept it up LOL

Jennie said...

Oh that is VERY funny! What a super trick!

theotherbear said...

HAHA! How funny. Imagine never being caught, all that time.

BS said...

Absolutely made me chuckle ! Great post and welcome to Fun Monday.

lisa's chaos said...

That is hilarious! I can't believe you kept it up for so long. I would have told on myself just by the expression on my face, then again I was an only child., I got blamed for everything.

nell said...

HA! She should be proud, that shows some serious dedication!

Melanie said...

Ok, how are you signing your name? How do you mark out words also? I have so much to learn about this blogging thing. I need to have some lessons from you. Help me! Your blog is so cool!!!

Serina Hope said...

That is hilarious. Your poor Mom. I wonder if she had any theories on where the water came from?

Kaytabug said...

If you are a comment whore then Fun Monday is the place for you!!! Welcome! Happy first Fun Monday!
This was hilarious!

Willowtree said...

Now that was funny!

Welcome to Fun Monday!

Emma in Canada said...

Hmmm..and I thought my kids pouring 7 liters of milk on the carpet to make a slip and slide was bad. At least they only did it once!

And how ever did you do that funky signature?

Pamela said...

That is one funny story. I remember those egg holders well. Occasionally one would come crashing down if you weren't careful.
I would have never thought to put water in them.

ChrisB said...

I laughed as I read this you were lucky to get away with it for so long!

buddha_girl said...

*taking notes*

I will punish both you and Buddha if this begins to happen in my house.

You're a witch, and I adore you for it! That's one of the best stories yet!!!!