Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

Happy Father's Day


Happy Father's Day to all of you Dad's out there. I know the 0 Dads who read my blog will appreciate the sentiment.

I baked DH a cake for Father's Day. He likes chocolate cake so I made chocolate. Not Duncan Hines, not Betty Crocker, but a real chocolate cake from scratch, made with real chocolate and real butter.

And real blood, sweat and tears from his wonderful wife (that would be me).

I haven't made a cake from scratch in close to ten years, so I had forgotten that it can be quite involved and time consuming. Top that off with realizing at about 9:30 pm that I had the wrong kind of chocolate, the wrong cocoa, and not enough butter. So after a trek to Publix (closed) and Bruno's (open, but sucked), I got started baking at about 11:00 pm.

Well, I was through baking and decorating at about 4:50 am. The decorating was pretty slip shod as I could hardly stay awake. Yes, my shells look like they were the ones left on the beach which no one wanted. But hey, a chocolate cake from scratch with a lot of time and care for DD to wake up to. Chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream icing, yuuuum.

I don't care for chocolate cake, but as far as chocolate cakes go, I have to admit it was pretty tasty. Moist, tender, chocolaty, not too sugary.

From scratch cake.

From scratch icing.

Up until 5am.

DH says I could have bought a cake mix.

Next Father's Day he can eat a damn twinkie.

0 comments: