Life in the Fish Bowl

welcome

My Best Friend


Today my son told me I was his best friend. Actually, he said it yesterday, but I thought I must have misunderstood him. After all, he is only 2 years old. But this morning when he grabbed my face in his two little hands and turned it toward his and said "Mama, you're my best friend", there was no doubt what he had said. Now where he picked up the concept of best friends I don't know. Barney? Wonder Pets? Scooby-Doo? Caillou (his new favorite)? MDO? I just don't know. But it is probably the nicest thing anybody has said to me in a long time, or maybe ever. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and totally unworthy of this sweet little creature we created.

He really is amazing - even if I am a little prejudiced towards him. Yesterday he wanted his Daddy who was at the store. So he tells me "I'm going to the store to see Daddy. See you later, Mommy" and takes off out the door into the garage. Now he is only two years old. I am not ready for grammatically correct sentences or to see his little mind working logically. I know it has to happen eventually, but I just would really like to keep my baby for a little while longer.

We had a lot of errands to run today so he didn't get a nap - or lunch - until after 2:00 so I let him stay up late tonight. I lay down with him at 10:15, but he wouldn't go to sleep so I left his room. It's now 10:50 and his is laying in front of his door yelling Mommy, Mommy, Mama, Mama. Poor guy, but he has got to go to sleep by himself. This is one of those times when I take back the request to keep the baby around longer. Or if he would just yell for Daddy, Daddy, instead of Mommy, Mommy....

But then again, after all, I am his best friend!!!

0 comments: